Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   $10 to finish this java program for me (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369604)

crunchy1 11-01-2005 01:03 PM

Re: $10 to finish this java program for me

[ QUOTE ]
That won't work because it will convert individual digits into characters, not the entire number.

[/ QUOTE ]
What you'll need to do is delimit the ASCII numbers that result from the encryption process. This way you'll have a method of reconstructing the string.

Yeti 11-01-2005 01:07 PM

Dude, just give it up now. Java made me want to kill myself.

asofel 11-01-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That won't work because it will convert individual digits into characters, not the entire number.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be able to cycle through and separate the numbers given where the spaces are, no?

krimson 11-01-2005 01:11 PM

You don't need to do anything crazy here. There is something called the "String Tokenizer" (google it) that will help with reading the data. You can set it to use " " as a delimitter and it will parse your string for you.

You can probably find some University/College tutorials that demonstrate this farily easily.

icepick 11-01-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is harder because it's not just one character. The input is going to be something like 82 123 43 95 and it has to recognize the individual numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement clearly shows you don't understand the assignment.

Start a loop.
Take the Nth character of your input string.
Convert that char to an ASCII number.
Add the key.
Convert back to a char.
Repeat untill done.

This is one line of perl.

crunchy1 11-01-2005 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't need to do anything crazy here. There is something called the "String Tokenizer" (google it) that will help with reading the data.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point that there is probably some class/method combination out there that will do what you need with minimal extra programming.

What you're missing (and what I didn't account for initially either) is that spaces are not an acceptable delimiter - because a space is a valid character in the input string. What you need to consider is that each character in the string is an individual character. Where we need to create and use a delimiter is in the encrypted string - so that we can recreate each individual character from the input string correctly.

kurosh 11-01-2005 01:16 PM

Yes, daft told me about the string tokenizer which helped immensely. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] daft. I'm done. No need for anything else. Thanks.

Jeffage 11-01-2005 01:17 PM

Shouldn't be downing a bottle of hot sauce or something?

krimson 11-01-2005 01:18 PM

I'm pretty Kurosh is trying to say that the input is of the format:

121 134 145 124 154 ...

and he's not sure how to read in the numbers.

krimson 11-01-2005 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't be downing a bottle of hot sauce or something?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's Crimson.