Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Q9o on button (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=368346)

Carmine 10-30-2005 06:02 PM

Re: Q9o on button

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Combine that with what will BB do(3-bet to face others with 2 cold)and have them(some) actually fold. Then I may like it even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

A large majority of the time, BB won't 3 bet a hand I'm ahead of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah meant to mention that in my post also (IE: does he only three bet hands that have you beat). That may not be a bad thing though. You know where you then stand and decide if you have odds to draw.

EDIT: BTW. Had a question for you after reading initial post and tried to PM you but box must be full it wouldn't go through.

brettbrettr 10-30-2005 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: BTW. Had a question for you after reading initial post and tried to PM you but box must be full it wouldn't go through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just indiscriminately deleted every one of them. PM away...

KDawgCometh 10-30-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the flop play, I called b/c of the number of bad cards that could hit on the turn, but now I'm thinking maybe I overestimated. I figured my equity wasn't that big on the flop, and no one was folding. But I think I might be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, of course noone is folding, but I think that you have to put in value right now, as it may get someone to fold on the turn(edit: as in, someone that might peel until the river with overcards in most situations). you can also check any god awful turn that may come. you're equity probably isn't massive, but, I do think that its enough to push(haven't run pokerstove, and it'd be really hard to put any of the idiots that you were playing with on any real hand range)

callmedonnie 10-30-2005 08:35 PM

Thus far I've only read KDawg's post, and I like the point about raising immediately if the turn raise won't protect at all. But, I was thinking raise a safe turn because I doubt anyone is folding here. While there is value in raise, isn't this a spot where we sacrifice an equity edge for a greater edge on turn?

Edit: Read the whole thread now and I think this hand sucks. I might raise hoping that I can take over hand, but I don't think there is much value in this unless people will fold turn. Right now, you have to dodge a lot of bullets for your hand to hold up IMO.

brettbrettr 10-30-2005 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't this a spot where we sacrifice an equity edge for a greater edge on turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I played it this way. But am I right?

W. Deranged 10-30-2005 09:49 PM

This is interesting Brett...

I think I tend to prefer a raise on the flop here:

From what I remember about this game, play gets much more passive and tighter on the big bet streets, and this is particularly pronounced among some of the more aggressive early street players. Hence, I fear a couple of things:

a. You don't get bet into on the turn; hence, missing the flop bets is probably just forgoing value.

b. A lot of players simply will fold the turn pretty much automatically (many players just take off the flop automatically but auto-fold the turn unless they hit).

My basic point is that I think a lot of players in this type of game play so much worse on the flop that you are considerably more likely to get bad calls on a flop raise than you are to get on a turn bet/raise. The "wait until the turn" idea seems better suited to situations where you figure that either your opponents will generally only be getting to the turn with decent hands OR are likely to make bad calls on both the flop and the turn. (Namely, if we think their flop and turn calls will both be generally okay, it's better to wait until the turn because their turn calls will generally be more beneficial to us from a value perspective. If we think their flop and turn calls will both be generally bad, then it's better to wait until the turn because their turn calls will generally be even worse than their flop calls. But when they're likely to make mistakes on one street and not the other, it's obviously better to encourage the mistakes where they'll come).

Just a thought...

How's that game treating you? I had some really fantastic success in it over the summer and am missing it fondly...

brettbrettr 10-30-2005 10:07 PM

Hey Will,

This is a different game than the one you played in, different venue (yours is closed til the tide turns), different players, but, well, same game.

I think your analyisis was spot on. These suckers tend to get girly on the big streets, and they all checked to me. (A funny moment occured when the CO pointed at the dealer on the turn (6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) after everyone had checked to him, the dealer burned a card, and, I sort of yelped, "I didn't say anything that even remotely sounds like "check." Then I bet. (Yes, over 99% of my poker experience is online and I perhaps could have been more discreet.)

But, yeah, in retrospect, I missed some bets here. I don't want to be results oriented but getting girly on the turn is more of an epidemic than an incident and I should have just raised the stinking flop.

RE: bigger mistake on the turn, really, I don't know. Part of me thinks that the bigger the pot is on the turn the more likely it is that more people are peeking at the river. As is, when I bet the turn, 3 called to see the river anyway. I make this play a lot with like 88 or soemthing when a raise will shut out no one and I'm in position against a good sized field. Here though, I think 9's might be much better than 8's and, and I think this is important, I'm also holding an overcard (I'm not counting on improving of course, but its not outside of the realm of possibilities.) If I had A9, even K9, I'd raise the flop in a flash. If I held say, 77 or 88, maybe even TT, then perhaps waiting til the turn would be a better play.

How bout pre-flop? I think its maybe almost close, and prob doesn't much matter. Raising doesn't much appeal to me, but calling or folding seems to me fine. Its 6 handed, after all, and I"m playing with who I'm playing with....

toss 10-30-2005 10:35 PM

Eh just raise.

brettbrettr 10-30-2005 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh just raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

KDawgCometh 10-31-2005 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But, I was thinking raise a safe turn because I doubt anyone is folding here. While there is value in raise, isn't this a spot where we sacrifice an equity edge for a greater edge on turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is, there are very few cards on the turn that are gonna be safe for us to push our edge then. The whole situation kinda sucks no matter which way you look at it