Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Dear atheists: cure cancer or cure religion? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365946)

hmkpoker 10-26-2005 03:04 PM

Re: Dear atheists: cure cancer or cure religion?

Well said.

I should say to kidluckee that my argument is just meant to be a joke, not taken seriously.

Piers 10-26-2005 03:18 PM

If nothing else happens I am expecting to die form cancer in a few decades. So a cure for that would be great.

I cannot imagine myself ever catching religion; I don’t believe it is necessarily fatal either.

So I am a selfish [censored].

10-26-2005 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No religion = no religious fanatics = no planes fly into my building and no fundamentalists with nukes.

To tell you the truth I think no religions would be a major leap towards world peace, if there ever can be such a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do believers have a monopoly on horrible acts of murder or terrorism? Have non-believers ever killed large amounts of people?

[/ QUOTE ]

'Believers' (certain ones, anyway) have a monopoly on wanting to kill everyone that disagrees with them. They also have a monopoly on the desire to get nukes in order to kill people that disagree with them. Acts of murder will happen in either case. I argue that acts of killing/murder will decrease by a large margin if there is no religion.

And no, believers don't have a monopoly on acts of terror (as defined by the US), but they're pretty goddamn close to it.

10-26-2005 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No religion = no religious fanatics = no planes fly into my building and no fundamentalists with nukes.

To tell you the truth I think no religions would be a major leap towards world peace, if there ever can be such a thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do believers have a monopoly on horrible acts of murder or terrorism? Have non-believers ever killed large amounts of people?

[/ QUOTE ]

'Believers' (certain ones, anyway) have a monopoly on wanting to kill everyone that disagrees with them. They also have a monopoly on the desire to get nukes in order to kill people that disagree with them. Acts of murder will happen in either case. I argue that acts of killing/murder will decrease by a large margin if there is no religion.

And no, believers don't have a monopoly on acts of terror (as defined by the US), but they're pretty goddamn close to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to break it to you, but that logic is awfully flawed. First, you obviously believe that religion is bunk (as do I). Many have done awful things in the name of religion. But do you think that the removal of the crutch of religion will stop people from doing awful things? Obviously, if religion is bunk, these conflicts of ideas are purely man made. If Isamlic terrorists weren't using religion to whoop up the masses, they could just as easily whoop them up with economic, political, racial, or a host of other propaganda means. Their issues with the U.S. are far more political than religious anyway (they aren't flying planes into cities in Hindu or Buddhist nations). People will continue to find reasons and means to try and power over each other, regardless of whether religion is used to fan the flames or not. Quite frankly, posts like yours do a great disservice to atheist positions.

10-26-2005 03:45 PM

I think you're right, to a certain extent. I basically lump religion, jingoism, etc. into the same category of 'brainwashed.' If people were able to unshackle themselves from religion them maybe they could do the same for other things. I said it would be a major leap towards world peace, and that is specifically because many problems (and most of the major ones) are religion-based, dating back many years. I'll never know if religion would be replaced by something equally as brainwashing, but I'd rather it be gone nonetheless and take my chances.

I also think that religion is a more powerful drive than pretty much anything else. Someone that's just really nationalistic and not religious may realize that this is the only life we have and not be willing to risk their life smashing a plane into a building or willing to nuke a populated city.

My opinion anyways. I can see why someone would disagree.

David Sklansky 10-26-2005 04:28 PM

This is tough because most people would suffer if they had no religion. On the other hand eliminationg religion would increase the chances of curing cancer and AIDs. But not by much because the vast majority of people who are intellectually capable of finding such a cure are already not deeply religious.

hmkpoker 10-26-2005 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is tough because most people would suffer if they had no religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Aytumious 10-26-2005 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is tough because most people would suffer if they had no religion. On the other hand eliminationg religion would increase the chances of curing cancer and AIDs. But not by much because the vast majority of people who are intellectually capable of finding such a cure are already not deeply religious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking along the same lines. I think enough brilliant minds who have been infected by religion exist for the the answer to be to cure people of religion.

10-26-2005 07:44 PM

Religious people don't want to cure Aids or Cancer?

I will assume you are talking about embryonic stem-cell research because nothing else would support such a claim.

There are other reasons that some people don't support embryonic stem cell research.

Adult stem cells have shown traits of plasticity which allows them to change into the three main cell types that are the reason embryonic stem cells have value.

Nature magazine also has two studies done by scientists that use embryonic stem cells without the ethical dilemmas in the latest issue.

Will that be a bad thing? Is it so important to use embryos even if it is unneccesary just to prove a point?

I see that there exists an immense hostility towards Religious people as well as contempt regarding their intellectual capacity.

I certainly don't mind. Just calling them like I see them.

evil_twin 10-26-2005 08:07 PM

Re: Dear atheists: cure cancer or cure religion? *DELETED*

Post deleted by evil_twin