Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   At a loss: 99 UTG (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365736)

4_2_it 10-26-2005 08:32 AM

Re: At a loss: 99 UTG

[ QUOTE ]
Your argument may well be valid, and I usually limp 99 UTG (full ring, don't know about 6max), but the reason is position. I'll raise 99 on the button all day long.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 6-max I raise 99 in an unraised pot about 80% of the time (100% in CO or on Button) becasue it figures to be the best hand. If paint hits the flop I can make a run at the pot with a strong continuation bet.

Mercman572 10-26-2005 08:55 AM

I'm having the same problem with mid pairs OOP. I've got a post going too right now, I know what you mean itjust doesn't seem right.

4_2_it 10-26-2005 09:07 AM

Your play is fine. At higher levels any thinking villain is going to bet that turn after you showed weakness. I bet villain folds greater than 50% of the time if you c/r that turn.

With 99, betting out a flop with an A or K (and firing a 2nd bullet on the turn occasionally) will get some better hands to fold. If an A flops and you get raised, you can fold.

88-JJ are the toughest hands for me to play in 6-max. You really have to have a feel for the table to decide whether playing for set value or as the best pre-flop hand is the way to go. Remember, most donks put you on AK whenever you raise so there are actually 10 cards which potentially help you win this hand on the flop when you are heads up.

Hattifnatt 10-26-2005 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...so there are actually 10 cards which potentially help you win this hand on the flop when you are heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which 10 cards? Aces, Kings and?

fuzzbox 10-26-2005 09:19 AM

I like to pot this flop, so that if he calls I know he is much more likely to have a hand, rather than two overs. The K probably makes no difference to villain, so I might fire again here.

Villain could easily have 77- here, as this is a nice flop to call a CB with a mid pair kinda thing, because you might have big cards and no J.

Fire again on the turn *representing* AK and you win the pot a good amount of time. If he calls/raises here, then you shut up shop. Pot the flop, 2/3 on the turn seems good in this situation.

Of course, if villain is a calling station, then check/fold is good.

4_2_it 10-26-2005 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...so there are actually 10 cards which potentially help you win this hand on the flop when you are heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which 10 cards? Aces, Kings and?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aces, kings and nines.

Hattifnatt 10-26-2005 09:30 AM

That's 8 cards is'nt it? If he hold 2 of the nines.

4_2_it 10-26-2005 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's 8 cards is'nt it? If he hold 2 of the nines.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hold 99. The 10 cards that help are the 4 Aces, 4 kings and 2 remaining nines.

You can discount by one (maybe) if you think villain holds either an Ace or King but the fact that he doesn't re-raise means that if he has one (more likely he has Axs), he doesn't like his kicker.

Just something else to think about, I think your play up to the turn was standard. However, I think you have to bet the turn to win this hand any a competent villain.

10-26-2005 09:48 AM

I like this line here. 99 isnt a great holding on its own. The J on the flop is a bit of a scare. The K on the turn is much more so. There is no reason here to think that you have the best hand. Good laydown.

The thing with 99 is that its a pretty easy hand to fall in love with. But really, with 2 overcards on the board, 99 is only marginally better than 33 if your set doesnt hit. If you can lay it down easily, its a great hand. It will only cause a little loss but when it hits, it'll pay off huge.

Hattifnatt 10-26-2005 09:51 AM

True, so very true. I did'nt know what I was thinking, maybe that I "had" AK and therefore it's 6 aces and kings in the deck.

I was wrong - you were right.