Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   veganism (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365240)

cdxx 10-25-2005 03:53 PM

Re: veganism

hypothetical situation:

you are vegan. you've been hiking through the rain forest for a week, eating nothing but leaves and moss the whole time. you are exhausted. you found no fruits or edible roots (must be offseason). you come to a town and discover that you have no local currency and you don't speak the language. you meet one aussie in a bar. as far as you know, he is the only one who can communicate with you. you tell him you are hungry and he puts a ham sandwich in front of you.

your options:
(1) say, no thanks, i am vegan.
(2) peel off the bread and the lettuce and eat them hoping the bread is vegan friendly.
(3) screw your principles.

P.S. this actually happened to a friend of mine

Paluka 10-25-2005 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I think the only real argument is against someone who is doing it for health reasons. If they're morally opposed to the mistreatment of animals to the point that they have completely given up on any animal (by)products, there is probably nothing you can say to convince them to come back to reality. If they are doing it mostly for health reasons, they are sadly misinformed. I'm no nutritionist, but basically, human beings are carnivores. We're meant to be carnivores, and our bodies expect certain levels of animal intake.

My best argument, however, would be bringing in Moby and seeing if he could take a light little bunch without losing control of his extremities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not the best informed on this subject, but I bet someone who is could really make you look like a retard for this post.

4_2_it 10-25-2005 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I think the only real argument is against someone who is doing it for health reasons. If they're morally opposed to the mistreatment of animals to the point that they have completely given up on any animal (by)products, there is probably nothing you can say to convince them to come back to reality. If they are doing it mostly for health reasons, they are sadly misinformed. I'm no nutritionist, but basically, human beings are carnivores. We're meant to be carnivores, and our bodies expect certain levels of animal intake.

My best argument, however, would be bringing in Moby and seeing if he could take a light little bunch without losing control of his extremities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't humans omnivores? Our bodies can process plants.

Blarg 10-25-2005 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look to see if that Vegan wears leather shoes or belts or has a leather wallet and ask them how they justify that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good one, better than Paluka does. Pointing out that you're a hypocrite doesn't get any better if you say, well, I'm less of a hypocrite than some other guys are. There's validity to that, but it doesn't really invalidate the point that you're a hypocrite, or the sting of that accusation.

Besides, it sounds like this is a competitive confrontation, not a reasonable one, where you want to win more than come to an understanding. After all, why argue against veganism if it makes someone happy? It's perfectly healthy too. So, I suspect a healthy stupid tussle and attempt to annoy each other.

Paluka 10-25-2005 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hypothetical situation:

you are vegan. you've been hiking through the rain forest for a week, eating nothing but leaves and moss the whole time. you are exhausted. you found no fruits or edible roots (must be offseason). you come to a town and discover that you have no local currency and you don't speak the language. you meet one aussie in a bar. as far as you know, he is the only one who can communicate with you. you tell him you are hungry and he puts a ham sandwich in front of you.

your options:
(1) say, no thanks, i am vegan.
(2) peel off the bread and the lettuce and eat them hoping the bread is vegan friendly.
(3) screw your principles.

P.S. this actually happened to a friend of mine

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this an argument for? This is like if someone says they aren't a thief, and then saying "BUT IF YOU DON'T STEAL THE SANDWICH YOU'LL DIE YOU LOSER HYPOCRITE SO SHUT UP"

istewart 10-25-2005 03:55 PM

The argument is that having to eat baby food and creamed corn on Thanksgiving makes you look like a world class faggot.

CollinEstes 10-25-2005 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look to see if that Vegan wears leather shoes or belts or has a leather wallet and ask them how they justify that?

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument doesn't hold any water. This is like calling someone who donates to charity a hypocrite because they didn't donate twice as much. People should do what they feel comfortable with to try and make the world better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it holds plenty of water in that they don't use products that come from animals including stuff like milk that doesn't kill the animal. Yet they have no problem wearing their designer shoes made from the skin of a dead animal.

How does that make sense?

[censored] 10-25-2005 03:57 PM

Steak
a roast beef sandwhich
prime rib

miajag81 10-25-2005 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The argument is that having to eat baby food and creamed corn on Thanksgiving makes you look like a world class faggot.

[/ QUOTE ]

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] i stewart

Phoenix1010 10-25-2005 03:57 PM

Why argue? Your teacher is right. Think about the issue with an open mind and come to your own conclusion before you charge in blindly and ignorantly trying to defend your current lifestyle. Don't throw on the roof before you've built the walls.