Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I'm a Pooh-bah? (LC / long) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365144)

10-25-2005 05:04 PM

Re: I\'m a Pooh-bah? (LC / long)

Great post.
I really like the 2BB loss/gain hand analysis after a session. I started doing the same thing soon after using PT. It's been a great learning tool for me and I'm glad to see others are doing the same thing, successfully.
Congrats!

MyTurn2Raise 10-25-2005 05:14 PM

LC....no way
This post is awesome and i've finger-tied it
I really like the post-flop analysis (I've always maintained preflop takes a day to learn).
Question: How long does it take to do that? Where do you find the time to play?

Piiop 10-25-2005 05:22 PM

Nice post, jskills.

About your post-play analysis graphs, what does the overcards section stand for - missed overcards? The suckouts section is for whenever your opponent makes an incorrect call/raise and therefore wins the pot? Do you consider a bad play made on preflop/flop a "suckout" for the whole hand or only if they hit on the turn/river?

JinX11 10-25-2005 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the way it should be? The turn is the place I make a lot of laydowns, otherwise I'm usually trying to lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know - everytime I see a 2+2er post stats, he/she has a higher flop aggression than turn aggression (and not close). I rationalized it a little differently than you, though: since I was generally playing better cards and in better situations than my opponents, being more aggressive on expensive streets in general pushes that advantage more than being aggressive on the cheap streets.

I'm pretty sure we are WAY in the minority there, though. Some really good players/posters here have flop aggression factors in the high-3's. I just can't seem to get there. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

jskills 10-25-2005 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post, jskills.

About your post-play analysis graphs, what does the overcards section stand for - missed overcards? The suckouts section is for whenever your opponent makes an incorrect call/raise and therefore wins the pot? Do you consider a bad play made on preflop/flop a "suckout" for the whole hand or only if they hit on the turn/river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep overcards is the section I keep an eye on for betting UI overcards. Typically opening PF with raise, betting the flop and betting the turn (usually when HU or other circumstances that dictate). Playing overcards this way should be deemed "correct", but I like to keep an eye on these lines separately.

I categorize a suckout as a situation where an opponent calls without odds regardless of the street. The idea is to keep track of the times where you play correctly according to the Theory of Poker and your opponent does not - and you still lose.

jskills 10-25-2005 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LC....no way
This post is awesome and i've finger-tied it
I really like the post-flop analysis (I've always maintained preflop takes a day to learn).
Question: How long does it take to do that? Where do you find the time to play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks very much - glad you like it.

The analysis part takes about 20 minutes for 2 hrs of 3 tabling if I had to guess. I usually just make myself do it in between sessions - whether directly after playing or to get my mind in the right mindset before the next session.

jskills 10-25-2005 11:17 PM

Glad to hear it's working for you. I think it has been valuablem but sometimes the fact that it's just me evaluating my play afterwards has me thinking this could be a more exact process. So I guess that's where the idea of somehow automating it comes in ... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

DocMartin 10-26-2005 04:46 AM

Nice post. Continued luck at 3/6. My mom sends her regards.

jskills 10-26-2005 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post. Continued luck at 3/6. My mom sends her regards.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me a second to get that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

mack848 10-26-2005 10:05 AM

I enjoyed reading your post - as always.

[ QUOTE ]

The analysis part takes about 20 minutes for 2 hrs of 3 tabling if I had to guess. I usually just make myself do it in between sessions - whether directly after playing or to get my mind in the right mindset before the next session.

[/ QUOTE ]
I always, OK usually, OK sometimes do this analysis [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. A good time is at the start of a session, whilst PT is mining a set of tables. 20 minutes in and I can choose the best of 10 tables to join and have hands on almost every player.

By the way, I also recently moved to 3/6 and it is a completely different game to 2/4. Played 3 tables last night and after a few orbits noticed that all 3 table VPips were 19%!

Mack