Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Karma, Doing the Right Thing and Ms. Manners (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364281)

hyde 10-24-2005 12:33 PM

Re: Karma, Doing the Right Thing and Ms. Manners

So a few months ago I go shopping because I need a new wedding/funeral outfit. I do not get charged for the jacket. I'm with my 15 year old son....lesson time. So I call them the next day, they are a tad stunned, they give me 50% off the jacket as a thank you. Son had the right answer too! I'm not sure I would have at age 15. I'm sure I didn't at age 15.......

Fast forward three months. I just finished my seasonal business and had the worst year in 10 years. I will need to augment my income this winter by bagging groceries, playing "it" online or something. However both bagging groceries and playing "it" are currently running around minimum wage which will not support three teenagers in the manner to which they are accustomed, so I am reduced to robbing gas stations.
I am hoping the others who responded to you can help me do this in the most ethical and effective manner possible. Do you think not using a weapon as a pursuasive tool will negatively affect the ROI? I am considering "multi-stationing" but am afraid it will affect my "read" on individual clerks. I am also not sure at what level to begin, rural single clerk stations or multi-clerk where there are likely to be bigger payouts......
sorry, didn't mean to hijack your question, the caffiene just happened to kick in mid way through my story...

Your Mom 10-24-2005 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So a few months ago I go shopping because I need a new wedding/funeral outfit. I do not get charged for the jacket. I'm with my 15 year old son....lesson time. So I call them the next day, they are a tad stunned, they give me 50% off the jacket as a thank you. Son had the right answer too! I'm not sure I would have at age 15. I'm sure I didn't at age 15.......

Fast forward three months. I just finished my seasonal business and had the worst year in 10 years. I will need to augment my income this winter by bagging groceries, playing "it" online or something. However both bagging groceries and playing "it" are currently running around minimum wage which will not support three teenagers in the manner to which they are accustomed, so I am reduced to robbing gas stations.
I am hoping the others who responded to you can help me do this in the most ethical and effective manner possible. Do you think not using a weapon as a pursuasive tool will negatively affect the ROI? I am considering "multi-stationing" but am afraid it will affect my "read" on individual clerks. I am also not sure at what level to begin, rural single clerk stations or multi-clerk where there are likely to be bigger payouts......
sorry, didn't mean to hijack your question, the caffiene just happened to kick in mid way through my story...

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY

highlife 10-24-2005 01:01 PM

what store was it? i have a utilitarian view of things so this would matter in my decision.

Aloysius 10-24-2005 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think i would just keep the shirts it makes up for all those times they over charge you or give u the wrong change. You dont see them coming to your house to give back the money if they notice do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being serious? I can't tell...

Jeffage 10-24-2005 06:01 PM

Trip Report

I just returned from the mall and here's what happened. I showed the manager the receipt and informed her of the error. She said she appreciated that I came in and that there would be no charge.

Jeff

Crimson 10-24-2005 06:17 PM

Re: Trip Report

Good for you man, more power to ya.

asofel 10-24-2005 06:20 PM

Re: Trip Report

[ QUOTE ]
I just returned from the mall and here's what happened. I showed the manager the receipt and informed her of the error. She said she appreciated that I came in and that there would be no charge.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was hoping it'd work out like that for you. Honesty's the best policy. I once put a slight "hole" in a wall at my local bar, told the manager and offered to fix it/take care of the charges. He said don't worry about it, and was thankful I mentioned it...

...although his way of fixing it was just to hang another outdated plaque over it, which amuses me to this day...

Dominic 10-24-2005 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9360/payit8wf.jpg

Pay it forward...

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant.

10-24-2005 07:17 PM

When's the last time a representative of a business came running after you shouting, "WAIT SIR! There's been a terrible mistake. We've overcharged you."

B Dids 10-24-2005 07:20 PM

Well, the place where I worked did this last week...