Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Broke again/ weak bankroll management (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=363657)

10-24-2005 04:55 AM

Re: Broke again/ weak bankroll management

My experience is that switching from Limit to NL is very hard, because the second best hand loses so much. And I think that is the most eminent difference. I lost many buyins to learn to fold pretty good hands, whereas at Limit I got money from them.

In NL I had to learn about implied odds, traps, bluffing which all play a minor or no role in limit. The question would be how much these factors outweigh the things that RatFink mentioned one should learn from Limit. Probably it's very useful learning about position & preflop play first, before entering even micro NL cash games.

AKQJ10 10-24-2005 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's very easy to blame bankroll mismanagement, but you don't have enough evidence that you are a winning player. If I had to guess, I'd say that is your main problem, that you are either a losing player or a marginal winner at $1-$2 and above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I second this, although I sort of danced around that issue in my previous post by "gently suggesting" that you collect better data.

Don't you dare play anything about the nano-limits until you have a good sample showing you to be up several hundred big blinds over at least several thousands of hands. (Many would say tens or hundreds of thousands of hands -- I'm willing to cut back a little only because it's likely that anyone who has learned anything about poker can beat the nanos, so i'm predisposed to believe a smaller sample when the underlying assumption makes theoretical sense.)

10-24-2005 11:42 AM

I generally agree that limit is a good place to gain some fundamentals before moving to NL, but those benefits can be gained fairly quickly. Limit is also a good game to play if you find yourself tilting a lot at NL.

My principal argument to support this is that in a limit game, because you cannot "buy the pot" (and neither can anyone else for that matter) you have to learn to play the cards. You have to learn what makes a strong hand and what makes a weak hand. You have to learn what sorts of hands are worthy of a raise preflop - knowing full well that you will not be able to buy yourself out of a mistake in later rounds. You will also be able to learn to read other players better because you have less information to process. Finally, you will tend to see many more showdowns, so you will get to see more of what sorts of hands are likely to win and what sorts of hands are likely to wind up being second or third best - plus, you will be able to see your opponents's cards far more often, so you can more effectively analyse their play.

You can then take these concepts and effectively apply them to a NL game - as long as you understand the adjustments that have to be made to do so.

rikz 10-25-2005 02:54 PM

After reading a number of good 2+2 books, and maybe some others too, spend the $60 and buy Poker Tracker (or some similar program), then install a heads up display like Poker Ace HUD.

At least if things go bad again, you can look at every hand you played, and look for leaks and trends with some detailed hand analysis. Having a record of wins and losses every session is an eye-opener. As for resisting moving up, if you focus on playing good, tight, ABC tight-aggressive poker, then you should see positive results in PT and have good, solid stats over 20K+ hands at your starting level. If you have good results, then you should have enough to make a move up and start over with a new PT database. Then move back down to regroup if you lose 5 or 10 buy-ins at that higher level to regroup and do some more studying and posting of your questionable hands and plays.

On line you can play a lot more hands, so you end up with a lot more opportunity to make good and bad decisions in a shorter period of time with less information then live (i.e. no "tells" or "reads" from a persons speech or body language). However, you can have stats and trends, both for yourself and other players.

10-25-2005 07:34 PM

Thx. What is that Poker Ace HUD exactly? I'm still at Everest because Neteller takes ages and so I can't move to Pacific and use PT.