Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   HUGE laydown from UB $109 last night.. Final table with 6 left (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=360957)

Dave D 10-19-2005 03:54 PM

Re: HUGE laydown from UB $109 last night.. Final table with 6 left

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not faulting your play, but I wonder what the decision points were here.

-As soon as he raises pre-flop, are you playing for set value only?

-Does the texture of the flop change things? What if an ace flops?

-Would you have called a smaller flop bet?

-What is your line if he checks behind on the flop?

He did play it like someone who really did not want to see a turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to say, I could feel the AA/KK jumping out at me from both his preflop and postflop bet. I called preflop for set value and for the hope that I might get some kind of tell to make me change my mind about the strength of his hand.

If he checks the flop it would depend how I felt about his check...how quickly he made it etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the flop had come monotone undercards and you held the Q of that suit? Would you still fold?

10-19-2005 04:01 PM

I had a similar fold in the last hand I posted.. except I did a terrible job wording the post and title, and made the huge mistake of saying I had no read (talking about post-flop play), where I actually had as good of a read as I could have on the guy as far as his hesitation and timing preflop and action postflop , and was right (not being results oriented, I called it an "easy fold" which it clearly wasn't, it was the opposite from the -no read- situation I described, but was much different with the actual read I felt I had and failed to describe correctly). Not trying to justify that play, as it may have been too weak-tight, but my read was correct, and I ended up going deep in the tourney because of it. I think I'm capable of folding in a spot like this if I have a strong enough read, and I'm willing to go with my read even if it looks ultra-weak/tight or ultra-reckless at the time, or makes me look like an idiot.

curtains 10-19-2005 04:04 PM

Probably not, no.

Dave D 10-19-2005 04:11 PM

I guess the interesting thing is that if the board had been all one suit, and your read says he has AA/KK, then he has a 50% chance of being ahead of your draw too right? So I guess it shouldn't change things that that much. Or does it?

Also, if you're that confident in your read, I dunno if going from a 90/10 to a 40/60 is really that that significant. Bottom line is you're still behind (albeit more so) pretty significantly. Especially considering the earlier point that he might have your draw beat.

curtains 10-19-2005 04:14 PM

pot is huge though...