Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Play a Hand With the Masters #2 River (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358261)

Sam T. 10-15-2005 02:16 PM

Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 River

This guy has played it strangely throughout, so I don't know what to make of this check. Trips suddenly scared of the flush? (JT, maybe?) A slow-played str8 scared of the flush? This card certianly made him sad.

The question is whether we have any FE, becasue I can't believe that we're still ahead. (What exaclty are we ahead of at this point? AQ, AT, QQ, TT...) Of course he only has to fold 1/3 or so of the time for this to be a good push, so MOOOOO!

curtains 10-15-2005 02:20 PM

No halfway reasonable opponent would check the river to induce a bet when you have 900 chips left and the pot contains about 3500-4000!!

10-15-2005 02:39 PM

I pushed a long long time ago.

10-15-2005 02:54 PM

I think the str8 might check.

Theres little chance of him folding to your push and the way the hand has played out im not so sure we have the best hand anymore so I dont want to value bet.

curtains 10-15-2005 02:59 PM

Yeah and why exactly would the straight check? It makes absolutely zero sense to check a straight on the river because the straight knows we would have called with many worse hands and that we will bet every single better hand after their check.

If your opponent checks QT there with the intention of calling, then they are just a total idiot. I'm sorry I'm not playing this hand under the assumption that my opponent is this bad at poker, if you want to then be my guest.

10-15-2005 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pushed a long long time ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol... a lot of us did. What would you do now?

10-15-2005 03:08 PM

I think that by this point I am just too confused. In the hand, I'd probably push with top two pair. However, thinking about it, I don't think that he calls with much that we have beat, maybe AQ/T. KJ, QT, AJ are also likely, so I probably check behind. I've still got enough chips to come back. I don't think that he calls with anything that we beat except AQ/T. I think that he too often has us beat. However, my gut says KQ or AQ.

Will

10-15-2005 03:27 PM

I possibly break down in tears. Maybe punch the wall. Seriously though, I push here yet again, villain checking with intention to call is pretty bad play on his part with anything he is willing to call with that he thinks may be good here, considering the pot size and how much we have left. However, I wouldn't exactly be the least bit surprised if we WERE behind here, perhaps getting sucked out on on the river, which is irrelevant. I would love to see commentary and thought process on each street from giga, but I think calling on the turn was pretty bad if we were going to get our chips in on any river. Villain was just as committed to the pot after his bet on turn as he was after seeing river for no additional price, so there was no real reason not to push the turn.

ZeeJustin 10-15-2005 03:54 PM

His river check means we have him beat, so move all-in. Man, I really don't like how this hand was played at all.

Preflop raise was fine, flop bet was a little small, but ok, hero really should have moved in after the check raise, and if that doesn't happen, definately on the turn.

CardSharpCook 10-15-2005 03:56 PM

It is an interesting situation.

You: 1000
BB: 1250
Pot: 3400

check and win, 4400. Check and lose 1000. Push and get called, 5400, push and lose, 0. So... how much should we risk for a possible 22% gain in stack size? I'm always a fan of value betting to death, but I think this is a situation to check down. What hands does he check here with? QJ, JT seem like very viable options. QT, not so much because he SHOULD push that because anything that beats QT WILL push, but many other hands call a push from QT. Really, I only see QJ, JT and a variety of 2nd best hands checking here. So, what second best hands can call here? AX seems like the only one to me. That's not that many hands. Does Ax play like this on earlier streets though? Actaully, I believe drawing hands like QJ and JT play it like this more often than Ax. So... based solely on intuition and thought (no actual math), I give us about 55% equity here vs. a hand that calls us. I don't think that is enough in this situation where it is a 25% gain or 100% loss. I check this down and curse my W/T instincts when he turns over AT.