Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   When shot at with a 50 cal rifle (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357281)

Blarg 10-14-2005 12:02 AM

Re: When shot at with a 50 cal rifle

This is very important if you are defending yourself against a basketball court full of five-year-olds.

whiskeytown 10-14-2005 12:13 AM

Interesting...

I was told in Hunter's Safety that unless you were firing straight down, you ran a much higher risk of bullet richocet off the water - of course, that's not a .50 cal bullet we fire when hunting - most of the time - LOL

RB

TheBlueMonster 10-14-2005 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
of course, that's not a .50 cal bullet we fire when hunting - most of the time

[/ QUOTE ]
unless you're shooting a t-rex.

Peter666 10-14-2005 12:22 AM

But if the gun is underwater and shooting at you, you will have to be much further away not to get killed or injured.

STLantny 10-14-2005 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if the gun is underwater and shooting at you, you will have to be much further away not to get killed or injured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because you arent breaking the surface of the water? Or is it the angle?

Blarg 10-14-2005 12:25 AM

It's hard to picture the surface tension of water being high enough to cause a ricochet.

I mean, how far does a bullet have to go to be completely underwater? Could the tension of the water against the bullet, once it got a foot under or something, be so high that it caused the bullet to bounce back out of the water, yet the water tension on the way out be so low as to not take the rest of the energy out of the bullet? Hmm, guess there's nothing theoretically impossible about that. I wonder how often that ever really happens. Of course, even having a bullet bounce back into your head once is one time too many.

Dynasty 10-14-2005 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
which is why all those movies (like Saving Private Ryan) where people get shot under water are not realistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, The Incredibles got it right. Violet was shot at underwater and didn't get hurt.

Peter666 10-14-2005 12:30 AM

I believe it is the equalized pressure underwater. It allows the gun to shoot. You can actually shoot a gun underwater as long as the whole thing is under. But if you shoot from the surface and just stick the barrel in, it will explode.

I've seen guys shoot handguns underwater in a swimming pool. you ought to be a good 12-15 feet away not to get injured from the bullet. I would like to see what the 50 cal would do underwater. And the sound waves coming from that would be absolutely mind boggling.

lucas9000 10-14-2005 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Be 3-5 feet under water. You will not get hurt....it was just on mythbusters. Appearently, being 3 feet or more underwater, you are safe, even from armor piercing rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

they fired it at a precise angle to the surface of the water though.

whiskeytown 10-14-2005 01:30 AM

this feels like a Darwin Award waiting to happen - and I make it worse cause I have a .44 - LOL

RB