Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Wine advice so I don't look like a tool (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=354687)

LondonBroil 10-10-2005 06:22 PM

Re: Wine advice so I don\'t look like a tool

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First, I would suggest saki. Failing that, I would skip the wine, and suggest a Japanese beer, such as Kirin Ichiban.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice. I would skip sake for now, it's too easy to get a bottle you won't like. Kirin, Sapporo, Asahi, etc. are all great ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where would I go about buying Japanese beer, a liquor store or a beer distributor?

miajag81 10-10-2005 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First, I would suggest saki. Failing that, I would skip the wine, and suggest a Japanese beer, such as Kirin Ichiban.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice. I would skip sake for now, it's too easy to get a bottle you won't like. Kirin, Sapporo, Asahi, etc. are all great ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where would I go about buying Japanese beer, a liquor store or a beer distributor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any decent beer/wine/liquor store should have the ones Diablo mentioned. I would go for Sapporo or Asahi; Kirin is pretty bad compared to the other two.

MrTrik 10-10-2005 06:42 PM

Sapporo is my favorite from Japan. Yup, going to have to get some of that soon, it's been a while.

ethan 10-10-2005 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sapporo makes a great beer called Sapporo Black Stout Draft, but about 4-5 years ago I stopped seeing it in liquor stores. From what I understand it's still available in the US, just not near me. The name's somewhat misleading - it's more of a deep reddish-orange color and generally not what you'd think of as a stout. It's more of a dark lager - smooth, slightly sweet, but with a nice bitterness as well.

I think it's the best beer they make, but the standard Sapporo lager is good too. I might go with the Sapporo Reserve if you can find it.

Beer is definitely the right way to go with this meal.

Boris 10-10-2005 07:19 PM

Why would you ever suggest beer with a meal instead of wine?

limon 10-10-2005 07:22 PM

go with tsingtao...much better than kirin imho.

nt

Boris 10-10-2005 07:23 PM

well call me crazy but I have to disagree with everyone telling you to go with beer instead of wine with your food. IMO, beer simply doesn't go well food. before food, yes. After food, yes. But not with the meal. Go the store and spend $20 bucks on a bottle of wine, any wine, and you will likely get something that is potable, and better than beer with your food.

ethan 10-10-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you ever suggest beer with a meal instead of wine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a Diablo-specific question? Or is the implication that wine's always a better option than beer with food?

If it's the latter, I disagree.

edit - I guess it's the latter. There are meals where I'd definitely want wine, meals where I'd definitely want beer, and some where I'd be happy either way.

STLantny 10-10-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well call me crazy but I have to disagree with everyone telling you to go with beer instead of wine with your food. IMO, beer simply doesn't go well food. before food, yes. After food, yes. But not with the meal. Go the store and spend $20 bucks on a bottle of wine, any wine, and you will likely get something that is potable, and better than beer with your food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im the opposite, I like wine by itself, and love a good beer with a meal.

Boris 10-10-2005 07:28 PM

Wine is always better with food than beer.