Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Looking for an incredible meal in/near San Fran (French Laundry, etc.) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=351157)

poincaraux 10-05-2005 07:29 PM

Re: Looking for an incredible meal in/near San Fran (French Laundry, e

Gary Danko and Aqua are now officially on the list of contenders. Thanks.

ddubois 10-05-2005 07:30 PM

Re: Looking for an incredible meal in/near San Fran (French Laundry, etc.)

I swear to god I read the title of this thread as "incredible meat in/near San Fran".

Does this mean I'm gay?

Ulysses 10-05-2005 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I swear to god I read the title of this thread as "incredible meat in/near San Fran".

Does this mean I'm gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

poincaraux 10-05-2005 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boulevard
Globe
Jeanty at Jack's (was there in August and it was terrific...get the tomato soup with puff pastry)
Aqua
Yuet Lee
Slanted Door
Chez Nous
Jardiniere
Hawthorne Lane

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of these look really good. Per El Diablo's post, I'll stay away from Boulevard and Hawthorne Lane. I've been to the Slanted Door .. it was good, but not as good as I'd heard. It could just be that my ordering skills were sub-par, though. Thanks.

poincaraux 10-05-2005 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP: Yuet Lee is awesome, but it is a pretty low-rent Chinatown place, definitely not a fancy restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]
A good friend is getting married on Saturday and I'm showing up on Thursday to help out .. this means I'll be running around the city quite a bit. If I go near Chinatown, I'll check this place out. Oh, man .. I wish I had time for a day of dim sum and hanging out in Chinatown. Do they still sell soft-shell tortoises on the street?

sfer 10-06-2005 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In no particular order (and this could easily be a couple of years out of date):

Boulevard
Globe
Jeanty at Jack's (was there in August and it was terrific...get the tomato soup with puff pastry)
Aqua
Yuet Lee
Slanted Door
Chez Nous
Jardiniere
Hawthorne Lane

[/ QUOTE ]

I would knock Boulevard and Hawthorne Lane off this list, they are overrated imo and not terribly interesting. OP: Yuet Lee is awesome, but it is a pretty low-rent Chinatown place, definitely not a fancy restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boulevard was my favorite spot and Hawthorne Lane a close second when I lived there, but again, I haven't been to either since 2001. I heard that HL had a series of kitchen changes. Oh well.

Yuet Lee is really great and well worth the hassle of trying to find parking in North Beach/Chinatown.

Lulu is another place I liked a lot.

ChipWrecked 10-06-2005 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do NOT go to Michael Mina.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you expand on this? That' pretty emphatic.

samjjones 10-06-2005 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Does this mean I'm gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ] http://www.cnn.com/US/9803/04/time.7...tom.cruise.jpg

El Diablo, El Diablo. No, you see. Here's the problem. You don't know the history of homosexuality. I do.

SossMan 10-06-2005 11:01 AM

I've always like the carnelian room, but I've heard that food snobs disagree.

jen 10-06-2005 11:26 AM

Re: Looking for an incredible meal in/near San Fran (French Laundry, etc.)

Of this class of restaurant, I like Hawthorne Lane. It's a bit pretentious, but the food's great. I think Aqua is overrated and overpriced but still good. I'd totally stay away from Boulevard.