Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Phil Gordon's Little Green Book (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347072)

10-02-2005 02:30 PM

Re: Phil Gordon\'s Little Green Book

How does it compare to harrington on hold'em? Is phil's book good for players who play cash as well as tourny's? i think that question was answered b4 but w/e. Ive Just read GSHE, should i read phil's book or HOH?

npc 10-02-2005 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does it compare to harrington on hold'em?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are different but both good.

[ QUOTE ]
Is phil's book good for players who play cash as well as tourny's? i think that question was answered b4 but w/e.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this question has been answered.

[ QUOTE ]
Ive Just read GSHE, should i read phil's book or HOH?

[/ QUOTE ]

My recommendation is both. I don't have a strong recommendation as to which to read first.

10-02-2005 07:31 PM

thanx npc

benkahuna 10-03-2005 07:29 AM

I concur.

benkahuna 10-03-2005 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is damn fine book. I'm very impressed from what I've read so far.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you guys please elaborate more on what makes the book so impressive? I'm very interested in picking this book up but would like to have some more information on what makes it so good. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I already gave my take explaining why I thought it was good and describing it a bit so it's a little annoying that you're acting like I didn't.

Here's an idea. Ask for something specific about the book, VERY specific and then perhaps it would be more easier to give you what you want, which is obviously VERY specific. I promise to tell you what want to know if you can explain what that is.

10-03-2005 11:05 AM

i wasn't the original asker of question...

but are the charts in the back for no-limit only (i.e. have to watch position even more closely)???

wanted to ask if the book is only no-limit... i know you guys said it was focussed on no-limit, but i wonder if it's worthwhile for someone who only plays limit (i know the games have alot of similarities no matter how you look at it).

sounds like an excellent book... and a guy i know who claims to have 100 books (he has alot of books i've barely or never heard of) hadn't heard of this book, so it might be an overlooked gem.

10-03-2005 06:18 PM

Your friend may not have heard of this book because it just came out. The official release date isn't until tommorow, however, some stores apparently got it last week.

10-04-2005 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got it today taking back a second copy of HoH that was hiding in my dining area.

I've read the first 58 pages or so and a few sections in the back.

I think it's excellent. There are some original insights about how to play opponents in particular situations (basically Phil telling how he does it) and overall it's very good.

The simplicity of the design and instruction in the book is striking. I'm quite impressed Phil was able to be so succinct.

There is advice relevant to cash games even though Phil's focus is tournaments (though tournaments are not a focus of the book at all as far as I've read).

[/ QUOTE ]
Does Phil's book cover anything that wasn't covered in the Harrington on Hold'em series? Can you possibly give a list of topics he discusses that you thought were very insightful and why? I already purchased a copy of Phil's first book, Poker: The Real Deal, a while back and was very dissapointed, thus my hesitation to go out and purchase this book before reading some more reviews. Thank you benkahuna. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

fnord_too 10-05-2005 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got it today taking back a second copy of HoH that was hiding in my dining area.

I think it's excellent. There are some original insights about how to play opponents in particular situations (basically Phil telling how he does it) and overall it's very good.

The simplicity of the design and instruction in the book is striking. I'm quite impressed Phil was able to be so succinct.

There is advice relevant to cash games even though Phil's focus is tournaments (though tournaments are not a focus of the book at all as far as I've read).

[/ QUOTE ]
Does Phil's book cover anything that wasn't covered in the Harrington on Hold'em series? Can you possibly give a list of topics he discusses that you thought were very insightful and why? I already purchased a copy of Phil's first book, Poker: The Real Deal, a while back and was very dissapointed, thus my hesitation to go out and purchase this book before reading some more reviews. Thank you benkahuna. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about 75% through the new book (didn't read his first one) and it is pretty good. I may write a review when I am done. It is all about NLHE, mainly tournaments but some ring game stuff too. Basically he describes his system and thought process on NL, and it seems pretty solid.

10-05-2005 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think P:TRD was written more from a push by Bravo than Phil himself. It's obviously more of an all-around poker primer, I assume the intended audience was the Celebrity Poker Showdown viewers.