Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   My Computer is slow (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=346521)

09-30-2005 03:57 AM

Re: My Computer is slow

If you go the root of C: are there a bunch of large files with numeric names like "00018090931"? You might have to turn off hidden files to see them.

Has your system blue screened, or crashed a lot recently?

NLSoldier 09-30-2005 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you go the root of C: are there a bunch of large files with numeric names like "00018090931"? You might have to turn off hidden files to see them.

Has your system blue screened, or crashed a lot recently?

[/ QUOTE ]

how do i turn off hidden files? and no my comp hasnt crashed at all.

MyMindIsGoing 09-30-2005 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Music doesn't take up that much space but movie files do.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG

NLSoldier 09-30-2005 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, i have no movie files, but I would say music files do take up lots of space, like 13 gigs...

TheTROLL 09-30-2005 06:50 AM

My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Hidden Files and Folders.

Then use the Windows search (Windows Key + F) to trawl the whole drive and report anything over, say 5,000 KB.

MyMindIsGoing 09-30-2005 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, i have no movie files, but I would say music files do take up lots of space, like 13 gigs...

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were you I would just reinstall everything and start fresh. But you are not gonna do that.

KenProspero 09-30-2005 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people seem to think that upgrading memory will do wonders for any computer no matter problem, face it, it is not like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it isn't. However, I've personally found that with a windows xp machine 256megs can have problems running with multiple apps, and 512megs may be light on memory depending on what you have going in the background. I know a number of people go up to 2 gigs, but unless one is a Major power user, that's overkill right now.

The reason I recommend upping the memory, as one of the first things is that it's cheap, easy, and often works.

TheTROLL 09-30-2005 11:42 AM

Generally speaking it'll just buy time, until the startup clutter on the PC or their laziness fills up the increased capacity.

It's far better to encourage people to understand what is running, and to learn to close down applications they don't need running right now. So often people complain about the PC being slow when there's "nothing running" and you look at the systray and there a bajillion stupid little icons for apps they don't even know are there, far less need.

KenProspero 09-30-2005 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also just realized that I am somehow using 51.9 of my 52GB hard drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you have to clean up your old drive, or add a new one (or both)

Clean up the old one is the best solution, but can be very time consuming. Adding a new one isn't too expensive, and is easy.

Your choices are internal and external. Essentially, if you have a free bay on your computer, go with an internal (unless you need to frequently move data to two or more computers).

icepick 09-30-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did this but it only freed up like 330,000kb. I seriously do not understand what is taking up all the space.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will help you find out:

Windirstat