Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   How often does this line mean a strong hand? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=345329)

Jeff W 09-27-2005 10:21 AM

Re: How often does this line mean a strong hand?

[ QUOTE ]
He wasn't so likely to raise with something worse that I welcomed a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

What % do you estimate he is bluff raising? I normally bet the turn here.

Victor 09-27-2005 10:25 AM

why not bet the flop?

The Truth 09-27-2005 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why not bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

He did.

I check the river to an aggro player.

I bet the river vs a passive player.

Turn check is something you gotta do sometimes, so no real comment there.

-blake

cartman 09-27-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What % do you estimate he is bluff raising? I normally bet the turn here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I correct to assume you guys usually call down when you get raised in this spot?

Thanks,
Cartman

Surfbullet 09-27-2005 04:49 PM

I find that these raises are usually a weird draw that hit, and only occasionally a bluff, not enough to call IMHO and show a profit. In this case I'd check the river as well - he won't often check behind the turn with a calling hand because he'd want to bet and take the free showdown... sometimes you'll miss a bet from A-hi but more often you'll pick off a bluff from a terrible hand that would never have considered calling.

Surf

cartman 09-27-2005 10:55 PM

Do any of you guys bet the turn and fold to a raise or are you committed to show this down when you bet the turn?

Thanks,
Cartman

Surfbullet 09-28-2005 12:52 AM

If I bet the turn I'll usually fold to a raise, unless experince has shown that villain's turn raises mean little. The get-to-showdown line is the one you took, checking the turn expecting many worse hands to bet at it when you appear to have given up.

Surf

wheelz 09-28-2005 01:41 AM

i think the answer to the question is "a large majority of the time." i've donated many a BB along the way finding this answer.

when i stab at a flop and get called i nearly always fire again on the turn, so i bet the turn here almost always. whether to call down if raised all depends.

Subfallen 09-28-2005 01:45 AM

Here's my line in this situation. I ask myself, "Is villain either (A) an idiot, (B) on monkey tilt, or (C) neither?"

If the answer is A or B, I call. As for C...well, if I'm not tilting myself, I fold.

tansoku 09-28-2005 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you guys bet the turn and fold to a raise or are you committed to show this down when you bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost always bet the turn. Call the raise if I think I have outs/odds, but usually fold. Calling turn raises at 5/10 and below makes it difficult to not call that last river bet, partly because it induces a bluff on the river, and partly because I want to know what kind of hands he raises the turn with...
So you are going to pay 2 more bets to showdown a hand you are not all that thrilled about, or fold the river feeling like you just got a prostate exam...
So, I embrace my weak/tight side and fold to a turn raise, then go read some of Tommy A's posts in mid-high to make myself feel better.
Besides I ALWAYS get shown a better hand calling down the average LPP types in these spots...