Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   satellite radio (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=342916)

dcasper70 09-23-2005 10:22 PM

Re: satellite radio

[ QUOTE ]
The numbers don't support your Stern vs O&A argument. Stern could lose 90% of his audience after the move and still crush their ratings. It's going to get very lonely at XM next year!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you have O&A's ratings? Please post! We'll wait...

Jimbo 09-23-2005 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The numbers don't support your Stern vs O&A argument. Stern could lose 90% of his audience after the move and still crush their ratings. It's going to get very lonely at XM next year!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

What a remarkably uninformed claim. Stern has a miniscule audience, a small niche if you will. He negotiated a monster contrast (most of it in stock and not cash). Sirius has probably 18 months left to survive with their present capital and subscriber base.

They will either be entirely overhauled by an outside buyer or consumed by XM.

youtalkfunny 09-24-2005 02:48 AM

I have Sirius. I've never listened to XM, so I can't help you choose which is better.

But Sirius has The Wiseguy Show (bunch of old Italian guys, swearing and breaking each other's balls), which is priceless. I often go out for drives to nowhere on Wednesdays, just to listen to it.

lighterjobs 09-24-2005 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sirius has football. XM has baseball. Sirius has worse equipment, XM has more stuff and is coming out with newer stuff faster I think. Sirius has Stern. XM has Opie and Anthony. O&A are a whole lot better than Stern BTW. They pwn him pretty consistently. I have XM and have no need to switch. I got it a few years ago because I thought XM was the better company. I still think it is and will be better/ more stable in the future. I just wish XM had the NFL games.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is worse about the sirius equipment?

lighterjobs 09-24-2005 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But Sirius has The Wiseguy Show (bunch of old Italian guys, swearing and breaking each other's balls), which is priceless. I often go out for drives to nowhere on Wednesdays, just to listen to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, i've decided on sirius just to get this show.

benza13 09-24-2005 01:35 PM

I got Sirius 2 years ago and couldn't be happier with the decision. I liked their channel mix more at the time and they have only improved since. XM is slightly ahead with receiver options, but has been a step ahead most of the way since coming out first. The only thing that XM has that I want on Sirius is MLB, otherwise I would see no reason that XM is better, especially since I like the NFL more anyhow.

BigBaitsim (milo) 09-24-2005 01:43 PM

It's prolly a toss up. I think XM is in better financial shape, so I went with them.

slamdunkpro 09-24-2005 02:36 PM

Sirus need 300,000 new subscribers per year for the next 5 years just to pay Stern and the NFL. Their current subscriber base is about 35,000.

BigBaitsim (milo) 09-24-2005 02:45 PM

It seems that one format will win. XM is becoming standard on many vehicles. Sirius is not.

benza13 09-24-2005 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sirus need 300,000 new subscribers per year for the next 5 years just to pay Stern and the NFL. Their current subscriber base is about 35,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try, but as of the end of the first quarter this year their subscriber base was at about 1.5 mil. Also, they are rapidly expanding their packaging with new vehicles.

Linky