Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Greatest War Movie of All Time - Round Two (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=341995)

diebitter 09-22-2005 11:12 AM

Re: Greatest War Movie of All Time - Round Two

I've only just noticed Zulu didn't get in either!

It's gonna be 'American Pie' again. I'm guessing Black Hawk Down.

What's next, greatest gangster films won by Ocean's Eleven?

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

RunDownHouse 09-22-2005 11:14 AM

If you don't know what's wrong with casting Jude Law in the lead of a war movie, I don't think I can help you. I do agree that its probably winning because the teenie-bopper crowd has never seen Patton.

jakethebake 09-22-2005 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only just noticed Zulu didn't get in either!

It's gonna be 'American Pie' again. I'm guessing Black Hawk Down.

What's next, greatest gangster films won by Ocean's Eleven?

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Blackhawk down. Crappy movie in many ways, but as accurate a depiction of the "fog of war" as I've seen.

swede123 09-22-2005 11:16 AM

Why do people say this? We did a greatest comedy poll a while back and the final four were Caddyshack, Office Space, Holy Grail and Princess Bride. Ultimately Caddyshack ended up beating Office Space by a nose, but American Pie was nowhere near the top.

Swede

Xelent 09-22-2005 11:22 AM

This is a pointless "tournament". Most of the posters are young and have never seen more than half of these movies and the idea of voting for Black Hawk Down to make it to the 3rd round of any good movie list proves my point. Personlly, I like Apoc Now, The Great Escape, and Full Metal Jacket best, and I have seen all of these.

fnord_too 09-22-2005 11:24 AM

Group two is going to have the toughest round 3 I think. The 1, 2, and 3 seeds are the strongest set of three left. Great Escape v. Stalag 17 will be an interesting match up.

jakethebake 09-22-2005 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pointless "tournament". Most of the posters are young and have never seen more than half of these movies and the idea of voting for Black Hawk Down to make it to the 3rd round of any good movie list proves my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is up against Glory. Matthew Broderick is as Jude Law.ridiculous as

jakethebake 09-22-2005 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great Escape v. Stalag 17 will be an interesting match up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I'm torn. I'm sure the GE will win due to sheer starpower.

swede123 09-22-2005 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pointless "tournament". Most of the posters are young and have never seen more than half of these movies and the idea of voting for Black Hawk Down to make it to the 3rd round of any good movie list proves my point. Personlly, I like Apoc Now, The Great Escape, and Full Metal Jacket best, and I have seen all of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, of course I realize this whole thing will be skewed by people's ignorance (my own included, out of the 64 there's a good ten or so I have never seen) about the older movies. In the end, however, I bet it'll come down to some classics, just like the previous polls have.

Swede

ScottyP431 09-22-2005 11:36 AM

Casting Jude Law was an exceptional act of film making. Perhaps on par with the brilliance of casting Mathew Broderick as the lead in glory. Neither fits the stereotype for their role because they aren't supposed to.

If the poll had been like, opening speech of patton vs enemy at the gates, i would have voted patton. If it had been ditka vs enemy at the gates, i would have voted ditka, even if it was some kind of mini ditka. Maybe im just a commie