Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   WTF is a real Libertarian? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=336770)

Richard Tanner 09-14-2005 04:57 PM

Re: WTF is a real Libertarian?

You raise a good point, how many of us (I actually voted for Badnarick) would vote Libertarian if we all agreed to do it. To simplify, how many of us are there. Alot of us vote for the lesser of two evils (R-cause we agree with their economics, D-cause we aggre with their social policies), but what if we all came out of hiding and voted Lib in the next election.
Surely it's only 5% max, but it could be fun to see.

Cody

Richard Tanner 09-14-2005 05:01 PM

Scoot,
I agree about the deficit, but I tend to think that this is a symptom of the Bush admin. that spends money like it's going to spoil.
As for the social issues, aside from gun control, I think that dems are clearly ahead of Reds in the sense that Adam and Steve and Madem and Eve don't bother them. Also, more Dems favor the legalization of marijuana (I believe). Lastly, they tend to adapt the overall mentality that "My opinion shouldn't be made law, unless that which I don't like endangers my freedoms," which in my opinion is how it should be.

Cody

lehighguy 09-14-2005 05:02 PM

It's really hard to say. Being a libraterian requires a certain measure of humbleness, and I honestly think the average person is to arrogant to embrace the it.

Richard Tanner 09-14-2005 05:04 PM

I agree, but I also think that Libertarian thinking can lend itself to apathy (i.e. "I don't want to police my neighbor so [censored] it"). It's a weak line, but perhaps I'm just blinded by optimism.

Cody

lehighguy 09-14-2005 05:05 PM

I don't know if it's a symptom of the Bush administration or any particular political group. I think the deficiet is an accurate reflection of the voting public. Current voters don't have to pay that deficiet, so it's not surprising that current politicians reflect that fact.

People demand the deficiet because they don't care. It is a reflection of thier own personal budgetary habits.

lehighguy 09-14-2005 05:06 PM

I don't know. I think it's possible to be a nosy bastard and still be a libraterian. You simply don't want to get the government involved.

For instance, you could be against the drug war and still organize the people in your community to try and keep drugs out.

Richard Tanner 09-14-2005 05:09 PM

Oh I agree, but what I was saying is that the drastically lower taxes and the illusion that "we can do whatever we want" might help spur on potential voters.

Cody

coffeecrazy1 09-14-2005 05:26 PM

Well...I find that I can usually outpoint people in political discussions these days, but still, people tend to vote how they have voted historically. I'm not being pessimistic...that's just a fact, because part of people's identities are rooted in their political affiliations, typically.

I still think you should vote Libertarian, even if you know we're not going to win that particular race. But...you never know...I don't think the political landscape is necessarily a permanently solid state, nor do I think that the two current parties have to remain in power forever...they just have been around for the most recent century or so(in their present incarnations, though not even that is completely accurate).

Personally, I did not vote in the 2004 election b/c I hated the two main candidates and I was not convinced about Badnarik.

Also...libertarianism is not saying, "I don't want to police my neighbor, so [censored] it." It's saying, "I don't know what my neighbor's doing, and I don't really care, as long as he's not infringing someone else's rights or doing things on my property.

Meech 09-14-2005 05:42 PM

I consider myself a Libertarian, but couldn't bring my self to pull the lever for Badnarik. Perhaps if I hadn't watched some of the Libertarian debate I would have been able to.

The current flavor of Repubs certainly isn't closer to Libertarianism, IMO. Legislating christianity, police state, war on America(err drugs), etc, etc..

lehighguy 09-14-2005 05:48 PM

So who'd you vote for?