Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Yesterday great, today horrible (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331983)

Dave H. 09-08-2005 10:57 AM

Re: Yesterday great, today horrible

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a bad bad day. When do you stop and what makes you want to play tomorrow

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone has his way of dealing with bad days. If you tilt because of a bad day, you do whatever it takes to avoid tilting. If you play too passively after some nasty losses, you do whatever it takes to avoid playing passively, even if it means quitting for the day. Some folks drop down in limits; some quit for the day; some, like me, play through it and realize that it's just variance (assuming you know you're a winning player at your limits). Another thing I do is switch tables where I'm obviously getting hammered. Or I'll play fewer tables.

Bottom line, I believe, is that you have to know whether you're playing correctly and then, assuming you are, you have to know what happens to you when you still are beaten when you're playing correctly. Once you recognize what happens to you, you can take appropriate measures (quitting, taking a walk, playing through it, etc.). But it has to be what works FOR YOU because for many, only quitting works and therefore is the right thing to do for those folks.

As for what makes me want to play tomorrow, I simply look at my long term results, and I have absolutely no doubt that it will turn around.

pokermac 09-22-2005 01:56 PM

Skitzo,

don't blame the focus on today on your mac.

check out mac poker pro - it is esentially poker tracker for the mac / pokerroom skins. I've been using it - and now I know who I'm up against at the limit tables. It also keeps long term stats and its great to make sure you are playing "correctly" based on those even if the bankroll happens to be suffering for the moment.

which it is...

more mac poker stuf at Poker-Mac

09-22-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have software like that because I use macintosh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try PokerGrader. Not as good as PT, but it's Web based and free. Just paste your hand histories into one big text file and load them in.

Xhad 09-22-2005 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When do you stop and what makes you want to play tomorrow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you're not already pro (and I hope you're not, if you're making this kind of post), then there's nothing wrong with just not playing tomorrow if you're that depressed. I had a run yesterday like the kind you're describing, dropped several buy-ins in a B&M game I should have been killing due to runs of bad cards, missed draws, getting beat by 68o chasing his bottom-end gutshot all the way down, etc...so, I just didn't play this morning like I was originally going to. Intellectually I understand this is going to happen, but we don't have perfect control over our emotions and most of us would do well to understand and adapt to that.