Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Dead Sexy? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331241)

bobbyi 09-07-2005 02:12 AM

Re: Dead Sexy?

I hate not raising the flop here.

Escape 09-07-2005 02:12 AM

How many times do you expect your call/3bet line to work on average?

I'd just raise. There is no reason to be fancy.

wackjob 09-07-2005 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many times do you expect your call/3bet line to work on average?

I'd just raise. There is no reason to be fancy

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't expecting it to work at all. He got lucky & it did work. Raising the flop here might drive out players which would be awful. There is little chance you are going to buy the pot with a flop raise. The way it was played was just perfect. The way OP explained his play makes perfect sense & I doubt the hand could have been played better. Like he said, once he got the chance to 3-bet, he figured no one was going to fold anyways & he was disguising his hand extremely well & pumping the pot with a mediocre made hand and a big draw.

I think the hand was played perfectly for how the situation lended itself.

Victor 09-07-2005 02:19 AM

unless the sb is a jackass there is no reason to raise the flop.

Victor 09-07-2005 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ike he said, once he got the chance to 3-bet, he figured no one was going to fold anyways & he was disguising his hand extremely well & pumping the pot with a mediocre made hand and a big draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a kinda interesting point. while it may be obvious he has a draw here no one puts him on a 9 or a 7.

B Dids 09-07-2005 10:59 AM

Like I said in my original post. This is my thought with a flush draw in a spot where I very likely don't have the lead in the hand. I say "how can I get as much money in the pot as possible". The answer on the flop when it's my turn the first time is to call and not drive out the SB.

When the SB raises, and now I ask myself again "how can I get the most money in the bot" and I 3-bet because I know they're not folding.

Raising the flop would be horrible IMO, because I'm not doing the only thing I've got going for me (my flush draw) any favors. The SB is betting out with a Q the vast % of the time vs. him.

In answer of what happens when I miss. Kinda depends on the turn. Any paint and I'm likely check/call. Something else I might bet. Luckily I rule, so I don't have to worry about this much.

Alobar 09-07-2005 12:09 PM

well played dids

DMBFan23 09-07-2005 12:17 PM

this is well played, but is raising the flop really 'terrible'? I think this board is very conducive to getting called for 2 cold (very drawy, cold caller's hands often have hit this board for a made hand or a draw, and our flop raise is expected as PFR which should give it less credibility), and if they want to call 2 cold that's fine. if he folds and I hit, my hand is disguised, if I miss, free card.

again I like the way dids played it, but I mix up my flop play here between call/raise, I do the same mixing it up with a set.

obsidian 09-07-2005 12:31 PM

Exactly how I play it.

Nietzsche 09-07-2005 12:50 PM

I used to play it like this but I feel too many opponents are now aware that the call/raise line is so often a flush draw raising for value (though there is almost no extra value in that raise). I think you gain more bets on the later streets with the call/call line.

Of course the fact that you have bottom pair changes the situation somewhat from what I wrote above but not enough for me to call/raise.