Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Bubble Play, Is Good, No? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=325002)

grandgnu 08-29-2005 06:13 AM

Re: Bubble Play, Is Good, No?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so you think if villain shows 32o, your call is good?

(I rest my case...)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really important point here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate as to why this point is important? If my opponent has 2/3 offsuit then I'm almost a 2:1 favorite in the hand.

I'm not afraid of making a play and finishing on the bubble. I learned that lesson quite hard playing multi-table tournaments. Had a lot of difficulty on the bubble until I read Harrington on Hold 'Em, then I started playing to win (better to finish 1st once and out of the money 9 times, than to finish just in the money all 10 times)

bennies 08-29-2005 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(better to finish 1st once and out of the money 9 times, than to finish just in the money all 10 times)

[/ QUOTE ]
eeeeh, this is not a mtt, 3 times in the money is better than 1 win here.

Ok, Maybe it's a call against 32o. But against 55, it's horrible, and I don't even like it against Q4o or whatever that only makes you a small favourite.

A9o is only a 60/40 favourite against a random hand, this is not a huge advantage and I will look for better ways to get through the bubble before I take this. (Also, it's possible that villain has something better than "random")

08-29-2005 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(I rest my case...)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate as to why this point is important? If my opponent has 2/3 offsuit then I'm almost a 2:1 favorite in the hand.

I'm not afraid of making a play and finishing on the bubble. I learned that lesson quite hard playing multi-table tournaments. Had a lot of difficulty on the bubble until I read Harrington on Hold 'Em, then I started playing to win (better to finish 1st once and out of the money 9 times, than to finish just in the money all 10 times)

[/ QUOTE ]

Download SnG power tools; this is not an MTT.

grandgnu 08-29-2005 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(better to finish 1st once and out of the money 9 times, than to finish just in the money all 10 times)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, Maybe it's a call against 32o. But against 55, it's horrible, and I don't even like it against Q4o or whatever that only makes you a small favourite.

A9o is only a 60/40 favourite against a random hand, this is not a huge advantage and I will look for better ways to get through the bubble before I take this. (Also, it's possible that villain has something better than "random")

[/ QUOTE ]

My opponents betting pattern should have led me to deduce he had something better than a "random" hand. But short-stacked on the bubble, with the possibility of eliminating another player and moving into the money, I will push all-in every time if I can be a 60/40 favorite to win the hand.

And if he has 5/5 (giving him opposite suits for the benefit of the doubt) then he's only about 55/45 to win the hand, so I might be willing to take that risk most everytime also.

bennies 08-29-2005 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My opponents betting pattern should have led me to deduce he had something better than a "random" hand. But short-stacked on the bubble, with the possibility of eliminating another player and moving into the money, I will push all-in every time if I can be a 60/40 favorite to win the hand.

And if he has 5/5 (giving him opposite suits for the benefit of the doubt) then he's only about 55/45 to win the hand, so I might be willing to take that risk most everytime also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but this is horrible logic. If you hang around this forum for a while you will see...

anyways, good luck to you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

grandgnu 08-29-2005 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but this is horrible logic. If you hang around this forum for a while you will see...

anyways, good luck to you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not about luck, but thank you for wishing me well.

If I wasn't short-stacked, but medium-stacked (and this push and loss would make me short-stacked) I might give up the hand.

But since I was short-stacked as well, and had an opportunity to eliminate the other short-stack and get us into the money (and have a playable stack when reaching the money) I figured it was worth a shot.

If taking a 60/40 favorite each time in this spot is wrong, I don't want to be right! w00t!

grandgnu 08-29-2005 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(I rest my case...)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Download SnG power tools; this is not an MTT.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, it's not a MTT. But I'm short-stacked, and blinds will soon move up to 200/400 and I have 895 chips left, I need to accumulate chips and maybe even eliminate the other short-stack. I can't allow my chip stack to shrink any further and become so weak that I can't push anyone off their blinds.

08-29-2005 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
download SnG power tools

[/ QUOTE ]

This will actually answer your question numerically, and give you a better idea of why STTs and MTTs are very different. The gap concept is huge in STTs.

grandgnu 08-29-2005 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
download SnG power tools

[/ QUOTE ]

This will actually answer your question numerically, and give you a better idea of why STTs and MTTs are very different. The gap concept is huge in STTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm familiar with the gap concept. I guess I was just thinking that because I'm so short-stacked I need to make a stand here sooner or later.

If I'm ahead 60/40 the gap concept wouldn't be applicable, correct? Plus, my opponent could be dominated, raising on the button with a weaker ace. Four-handed, short-stacked and on the button, you don't need A/9 to push.

I think if I was a larger stack, and it was another large stack making the raise, and there is one or two other stacks that are so short I should be able to make the money no problem, then I can consider the laydown.