Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Preflop raising (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=324453)

Aaron W. 08-29-2005 01:07 AM

Re: Preflop raising

[ QUOTE ]
After 25K hands my PFR still looks low and dropping as I move up.

7.68 at .25/.50
7.61 at .50/1
7.59 at 1/2

I've been raising everything on the SSHE loose chart, and raising any decent calling hand on the button when it's folded around to me. Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising gets above 8 when you start raising in *situations* and not just raising the cards that you have.

bottomset 08-29-2005 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After 25K hands my PFR still looks low and dropping as I move up.

7.68 at .25/.50
7.61 at .50/1
7.59 at 1/2

I've been raising everything on the SSHE loose chart, and raising any decent calling hand on the button when it's folded around to me. Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising gets above 8 when you start raising in *situations* and not just raising the cards that you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

Nfinity 08-29-2005 01:27 AM

SUGGESTED READING:

Playing against a Maniac HEPFAP pg. 130

Part 5: Playing Short Handed HEPFAP pg. 183

You have to be really careful with some of the advice in Hold"em Poker for Advanced Players. Most of the advice in there is play against opponents who DON'T play too many hands and DON'T go too far with them on average, which is of course, the ezact opposite of what we routinely play against.

davelin 08-29-2005 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's mine. I feel I'm a bit too aggressive with some hands, but here it is anyway.

SB 11.92
BB 8.63
UTG 10.44
UTG+1 7.87
UTG+2 8.84
MP1 8.78
MP2 10.51
MP3 10.17
CO 8.98
Button 12.84

Total is 10.01. Note my UTG raise is high, I think I overvalue stuff like KQo too much UTG

[/ QUOTE ]

KQo isn't your problem.

08-29-2005 10:18 AM

I'm not sure what limits you guys are playing, but I've played the majority of my hands at 1/2 and I don't think you should be so obsessed with increasing your PFR. In loose games in particular I think that you really have to adjust to how people are playing. You have to make sure that if you try an isolation raise with a weakish hand that you are unlikely to get cold callers behind you. Similarly, open raising with weakish hands when first in from MP if people are likely are cold calling. Now you're just building a big pot with a hand that doesn't have a big equity edge and are playing out of position. Would be interested in what people think.

imported_The Vibesman 08-29-2005 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what limits you guys are playing, but I've played the majority of my hands at 1/2 and I don't think you should be so obsessed with increasing your PFR. In loose games in particular I think that you really have to adjust to how people are playing. You have to make sure that if you try an isolation raise with a weakish hand that you are unlikely to get cold callers behind you. Similarly, open raising with weakish hands when first in from MP if people are likely are cold calling. Now you're just building a big pot with a hand that doesn't have a big equity edge and are playing out of position. Would be interested in what people think.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why table reads are important, and it's also important to know what people like to do in the blinds. Some play tight as tight can be out of the blinds, many in the micros like to call with any two, and there are all sorts in between. On some tables you may need to be in a later position to try these plays. But you should always be looking for favorable conditions to mix up your play.