Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Looking for abinsthe. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=321746)

Brad22 08-24-2005 09:37 AM

Re: Looking for abinsthe.

They serve it in Barcelona.

BusterStacks 08-24-2005 09:38 AM

Worst. Hangover. Ever.

xadrez 08-24-2005 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh?

Any absinthe you're going to find on the internet has thujone in it. Around the turn of the century there was a Europe-wide limit on how much thujone you could put in. Any "real" absinthe with pre-1900ish level thujone is either going to literally be 100 years old and cost you a boatload of money, or is going to be some serious black market [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Im confused, but anytime I have seen a bottle of Absinthe in the US, it was made without wormwood.

[ QUOTE ]
Price
Absinthe containing thujone is difficult to find for sale inside the United States, but is available from suppliers in other countries, many of whom are willing to ship into the U.S. Prices depend on the brand and the thujone content, and can range from $10 a bottle to over $200 per bottle.

Law
Absinthe containing thujone is illegal to sell for human consumption in the United States. Some brands of absinthe are sold in the U.S. which contain no thujone and other absinthes are imported into the U.S. despite FDA regulations. It is not illegal to possess Absinthe, even if it contains thujone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link

turnipmonster 08-24-2005 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst. Hangover. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

RunDownHouse 08-24-2005 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Huh?

Any absinthe you're going to find on the internet has thujone in it. Around the turn of the century there was a Europe-wide limit on how much thujone you could put in. Any "real" absinthe with pre-1900ish level thujone is either going to literally be 100 years old and cost you a boatload of money, or is going to be some serious black market [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Im confused, but anytime I have seen a bottle of Absinthe in the US, it was made without wormwood.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is why no internet seller would sell absinthe from the US.

AsiaKurosawa 08-24-2005 10:47 AM

You can import thujone-containing absinthe to the US (illegally) --

Best website for reviews, info: Fee Verte (start here to decide what you want-- several different choices and vendors, incl. info on who ships to US)

Best (cheapest) site for importing: Spirits Corner. Shipping's a killer, but they don't have ridiculously marked up pricing like other vendors.

(The info above is true from several years ago, I haven't had any experience researching or acquiring anything for a long while now so, grain of salt y all...)

For the great fun of it, you may want to look into purchasing a set of inexpensive spoons and glasses for sugaring-louche effect. I can't find where I bought mine-- but you can check ebay or the la fee site for info on them (don't go all out buying the vintage stuff unless you're really into it, spend the $ on the bottles instead.)

PorscheNGuns 08-24-2005 11:02 AM

Sorry it was me who was confused, I thought we were talking about importing a bottle of absinthe from Europe, which I have done and is easy as hell.

-Matt

PorscheNGuns 08-24-2005 11:03 AM

Re: Looking for abinsthe (Van Helsing)

by the way, did anyone else notice the repeated shameless plugs for absinthe in the movie Van Helsing?

-Matt

spamuell 08-24-2005 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worst. Hangover. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. It's not to be taken lightly.

colgin 08-24-2005 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worst. Hangover. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. It's not to be taken lightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.