Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Deep thinking hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=318072)

Ribbo 08-19-2005 05:26 PM

Re: Punking post

Fraid i've won plenty more than that off you, but then you haven't included my other 3 screen names.
I don't watch holdem tournaments, so I wouldn't know about what hands it compares to.
I hate to break it to you, but sometimes hands that you consider "bragging" can also contain poker content. Just because you want to be bitter and just look for any negative aspect to the post, does not make it so.
The sad fact of the matter is, I will only post about hands of poker I am in, and because i'm that damn good, a lot of the time it will involve me winning a pot. You're just going to have to live with that or not read my posts. Either way, as asked already by Felicia, stop with the snide remarks if that's the only thing you have to contribute.

FeliciaLee 08-19-2005 08:07 PM

I actually like all of you, although I must be insane. Maybe it's a short term side effect of chemo, and I'll get over it soon [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I do wish you all would stop fighting all of the time, or at least be required to report to my house so that I can give you spankings any time you act up...Oh, wait, this is the wrong forum [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Never mind.

Oh, and I was happy to catch Ribbo in a spelling error. Usually it's the Yanks who always misspell DEFINITELY. Why they think there is an A in that word is beyond me. I rarely see the Brits spell it wrong. Once I saw Ribbo write "definAtely," I knew I could go for the jugular, I'd found the soft spot...

LOL,

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mendacious 08-19-2005 10:51 PM

My point wasn't that I've won more off you, just that bragging threads are lame.

But, I'd be happy to include your other screen names Ribbo, as well as my other 5 Party affliate names, you can backchannel me if you think it is important to set the record straight on bragging rights.

I don't have any objections to posting hands of your own, and I acknowleged that I respect you as a player, and many of your posts. So I am sure you have many great hands to post, but I think this particular hand was unremarkable other than for the fact that your opponent (friend?) had cards that virtually everyone would have played exactly the way he did and lost a chunk of change.

Had you posted the same hand, with you in his position, folding on the end and then being shown the made straight by your opponent, I would have thought THAT was worth bragging about. Not the misfortune of your opponent.

This isn't a knock on your knowledge or posts generally, it is a specific observation that your play on the hand in question is unremarkable, except to the extent it varies from YOUR norm.

Ribbo 08-20-2005 01:55 AM

No, most people wouldn't have played it the same way as him. Infact on party poker most players would have shoved the turn also straight into the check raise all in. He was well aware that would be bad for him, and would expect me to bet QJ into him on the river. Because I checked again, he put me on a set or 2 pair, which is exactly why I checked to him again on the river. If he didn't have AA, because I had checked he could move me off the pot if he believed I didn't hold QJ. If he did have AA, then I would expect a value bet that I could check raise, in either case checking the river against a solid player, was better.
If you think for a minute most players in my position would have played it the same way, then you are very sadly mistaken.

Mendacious 08-20-2005 02:33 PM

Well my point was that most people who drew trip AA's on the end would have lost a bundle on that hand because the only possible hand improved on the card was his AA to trips.

And your check on the turn I think is risky, because it gives him a free draw to beat you, AND a very slim chance of drawing a card that forces him to bet or call you on the end (not including the hands which beat you). I will take your word that this particular player would have put you on your hand had you bet the turn, but I'm not sure how that remotely helps you unless an A falls on the river. Anything else comes and you either don't make any more money on the hand, but you give your opponent a free draw to beat you. How is that good? Also, are you sure you don't lose some amount more money on the river if a club comes? I've seen you make good folds, but he'd get the chance to get you to make a mistake.

So on the turn, by my figuring, assuming you have correctly put him on AA clubs (which you claim), you have 2 outs which probably win you another pot sized bet, and he has 9 to either take the pot or possibly more. By my calculation he is getting WAY the better of those implied odds. Do you disagree with this?

How would you have played his hand?

I think he played the flop correctly, he tried to take the pot, and he had odds if you called to draw out his flush.

I think his check on the turn was correct as well, I'm not sure I agree most Party players shove the turn with AA there, after being called-- but some would.

I think you take $85 off of virtually anyone there if you lead out on the end, probably even him. In this case you got the extra $40 by checking, but he easily could have checked the hand down, and you get nothing extra.

Again, all in all I don't see anything exemplary about anyone's play on this hand.

What odds did you put on his checking the river? What odds of his calling if you bet, and what odds of his calling a check raise?