Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   A Nice 2+2 Success Story (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=315631)

08-15-2005 02:40 PM

Re: A Nice 2+2 Success Story

[ QUOTE ]
e wasn't really multi-tabling, so he would disect every close decision and send me a detailed PM describing his thought process and options.

[/ QUOTE ] I usually find myself 4 to 8 tabling the limit cash games for more money. However, I find myself lacking any reads, and it's harder to improve when you can't remember specific details about any hands.

Now I want to get into learning NL SNGs (and eventually MTTs). I'll probably be playing on Stars, b/c the Party games seem to have extremely low stacks vs blinds. How many tables do most SNGers play at a time? I was thinking play two tables: concentrate on one (review the hands from there) and play blind on the other.

Freudian 08-15-2005 02:44 PM

He indeed posts interesting hands.

citanul 08-15-2005 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
e wasn't really multi-tabling, so he would disect every close decision and send me a detailed PM describing his thought process and options.

[/ QUOTE ] I usually find myself 4 to 8 tabling the limit cash games for more money. However, I find myself lacking any reads, and it's harder to improve when you can't remember specific details about any hands.

Now I want to get into learning NL SNGs (and eventually MTTs). I'll probably be playing on Stars, b/c the Party games seem to have extremely low stacks vs blinds. How many tables do most SNGers play at a time? I was thinking play two tables: concentrate on one (review the hands from there) and play blind on the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY HIJACK BATMAN. AND FOR A QUESTION THAT IS ENTIRELY EASILLY SEARCHABLE FOR.

citanul

08-15-2005 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]
I do my share of searches. I think it's okay to ask a question once in awhile.

ps. your caps is on

TheNoodleMan 08-15-2005 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I do my share of searches. I think it's okay to ask a question once in awhile.

ps. your caps is on

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, its ok to ask a question, but its usually better recieved if its not a blatant hijack.

Unarmed 08-15-2005 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ps. your caps is on

[/ QUOTE ]

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

johnnybeef 08-15-2005 02:57 PM

its in the faq dude

Wes ManTooth 08-15-2005 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/batman-10045332.jpg

Irieguy 08-15-2005 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats to Unarmed. It will be interesting to see in the archives how his questions/advice have improved over time.

One question for either Irie or Unarmed, what areas do you think you've improved upon the most? I ask this as a player who's winning but looking for holes in my game. When Irie says you were a solid $5 player who needed some work to improve to the $33's, in what areas did you improve? I would guess that a solid $5 player knows when to push/fold on the bubble, but doesn't extract enough value in other phases of the game. Any general thoughts you'd like to share?

[/ QUOTE ]

The escalating blinds, payout structure, and tendency of opponents to play too many hands in SNGs creates a game-theory model approach to the game that works:

Fold early, push late.

So most players on this forum do exactly that. The difference between winning and losing is knowing exactly when to push/fold once the blinds are high. We even have a mathematical model (ICM) and a tool kit (Eastbay's) to help with that.

But, people who think that you can fold early/push late, quit their job and 8-table the $215s for a living are delusional.

A good poker player is able to find spots to pick up chips where others cannot.

A great poker player can sit at a table with 9 opponents who are going to push/fold perfectly and still beat the game. In fact, while I avoid some players at the $109's, the easiest SNG to beat is one with 3 or more 2+2ers at the table: I get every chip that goes into a pot for the first 3 levels, and have great folding equity at the end.

What Unarmed did to become a great player was master a few key skills that are not discussed very often on this forum:

1. Playing the blinds for a profit
2. Playing good hands for value
3. Inducing and snapping-off bluffs
4. Manipulating pot size and betting impetus to minimize the risk of going broke while extracting adequate chips in +EV situations.

These things are discussed, just not very often.

It is commonly assumed that you can only beat SNGs if your 10th place percentage is less than 3%. But I've seen players have >10% 10ths and still have a positive ROI. That speaks to how dynamic SNG strategy can be, and therefore how dynamic your game has to be in order to beat SNGs under a variety of conditions against a variety of players.

And stuff.

Irieguy

adanthar 08-15-2005 03:06 PM

Unarmed posts g00t, and postflop play hands no less [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Congrats, man.