Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   $55 - A3 in the SB with 10x BB.... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=312472)

tjh 08-10-2005 10:49 PM

Re: $55 - A3 in the SB with 10x BB....

[ QUOTE ]
People tend to notice when the SB is always jamming their stack in their face, and I think the potential for spite calls go up exponentially.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that that is true, the potential for spite calls goes up. What I am wondering is... is there a way to test that. Can I run some advanced pokertracker query to see if pushes lead to spite calls and at what frequency...

I dunno I hate to see untested and unproven assumptions, although poker is filled with them.

--
tjh

jgunnip 08-11-2005 01:46 AM

forgive me but what are these KS numbers you're talking about? Is there a post or article you could link me too?

As far as this hand goes, of course its a push, but I think the OP's inquiry into how pushes like these affect your FE later in the game is an interesting one. However, I assume (perhaps incorrectly but it makes sense) that as you go up in stakes, the number of opponents that will spite call you will decrease. Now I'm not saying the players have tighter calling standards, I don't know, but it would seem to me that you will run into more spite calls at the lower levels. Where as at the higher levels, you would presumably see some opponents make 'spite calls' that are actually more value calls since they are skillful enough to know certain situations are 'push any 2' and observant enough to notice which players also understand this and therefore their calls would be more for value than out of spite.

octaveshift 08-11-2005 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
forgive me but what are these KS numbers you're talking about? Is there a post or article you could link me too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck with this. I find it very hard to get my head around: http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...772&Forum=,,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Lim it=25&Main=382772&Search=true&where=&a mp;Name=5&daterange=&newerval=&newerty pe=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Pos t382772

raptor517 08-11-2005 01:18 PM

the math says its a relatively close shove, but still a shove. however, you can think about this for the future as well, and maybe let him walk once to pick up a more useful blind later. if it takes him an extra round to catch on, the chip difference is worth it. i would still shove though, im just thinking outside of the box. holla

wuwei 08-11-2005 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the math says its a relatively close shove, but still a shove. however, you can think about this for the future as well, and maybe let him walk once to pick up a more useful blind later. if it takes him an extra round to catch on, the chip difference is worth it. i would still shove though, im just thinking outside of the box. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely possible I've gone too weak tight lately, but I've been folding here with roughly this reasoning. After the addition of the 75/150 blind level, we've got a little more time before we lose our folding equity and need to push everything that's close in $EV terms.

The first time you push into someone's BB, they are likely to give you a pass unless they have a real hand. The 3rd or 4th time, many players open up and look for a spite call. If I can get those first two pushes in at higher blind levels, I think it's worth it. In addition, I really hate getting called by A7 here and losing my 10BB stack - and people love to call with weak aces.

However, I was a bit suprised that it's still a +.7 $EV push when you put the opponent on Eastbay's loose range. I figured it would be closer to a wash...