Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   $109s - Annoying AK Hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=310076)

microbet 08-08-2005 01:33 AM

Re: $109s - Annoying AK Hand

Calls. It would have been one thing if he lead out for 30, but he made that tiny bet when he could have taken a free card.

yabastid 08-08-2005 01:41 AM

Yeah, this is really fcuking annoying. The problem with calling his t30 bet is that if you hit your A or K on the turn you're not at all confident you have the best hand given the PF action. You also would love to get to the river very cheaply (if at all possible) so you can see how this guy goes from a big PF reraise to min betting the flop-it would really tell you a lot about him as a player and would make for great notes. However, the only way to get any real info is to reraise him here 125-150 and give up when he flat calls or pushes.
Oh, and no way I'm flipping a coin (at best!) PF. You have to flat call.
I really hate this hand [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

yabastid

curtains 08-08-2005 04:42 AM

My normal play is to just fold preflop. On the flop I call.

tigerite 08-08-2005 05:34 AM

I definitely wouldn't call off this much of my stack preflop to the re-raise. I'd either push or fold, and I like folding better here.

Unarmed 08-08-2005 07:34 AM

Folding pre definitely crossed my mind, as did raising the flop. There is no way I would ever fold the flop, that's just retarded. I flat called and led the bricked turn for 200, folding to a min-raise. (mostly because I don't think I can lose AK with a 200 raise on the flop, but most guys will fold it to a turn lead with one street to come) Sound about right? I can see calling and check/folding the turn too but that lets his stunned bluff off too easy if he is indeed bluffing.

Anyway I posted this because I get trapped every single time this sort of this happens. This guy reraised me pre, and that board is about as non-threatening as they come. Upon reflection, I *think* Villain has a monster 9 times out of 10 here, making my turn bet pretty bad. Thoughts?

BTW Micro your point is a good one...

Irieguy 08-08-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My normal play is to just fold preflop. On the flop I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, getting 2.25 to 1 on a preflop call for less than 20% of your stack with AK and then folding cannot possibly be correct in a short-stack structure tournament.

You know exactly where you are, and he will pay you off the 1/3 of the time you flop your pair (if you play it correctly, and Unarmed would have.)

You can even make this a math problem and just plug in reasonable estimates for how often he will pay you off when you flop TPTK, while subtracting your 100-chip investment the times you miss plus the times he gets your stack when you hit and he makes a set.

Now, you can't call-off half your stack this way preflop... but leaving yourself with 700-800 chips in level 2 is no big deal.

Irieguy

freemoney 08-08-2005 01:23 PM

you can flop a king and lose your stack if he has aces, i dont think you can make simple estimates without knowing opponent, i def think folding preflop is best.

Scuba Chuck 08-08-2005 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ur OOP and if an A or K come off you usually arent going to get paid, i think folding pre is prob best...

[/ QUOTE ]

Those were my thoughts. It's only L1.

EDIT: On the lower levels, reraises like this come from AQ+, 99+. Is the same true on the $109s?

durron597 08-08-2005 01:28 PM

A lot of people are saying fold preflop, which I don't disagree with. But if your opponent is the sort of person who knows you will fold AK preflop to a raise then you might want to push.

But I agree default is to fold.

freemoney 08-08-2005 01:29 PM

i think its pretty impossible for a villian to have that much knowledge of your play or that he is good enough something like this ever comes into play.