Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Sinatra's My Way or Cash's Hurt (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=309714)

PokerBob 08-07-2005 02:10 PM

Re: Sinatra\'s My Way or Cash\'s Hurt

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cash's version of Hurt is a good song, but nobody would think anything of it if it weren't for the video. "My Way" is a classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen the video. I listen to that song almost every time I play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too

[censored] 08-07-2005 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm a huge johnny cash fan. i'm pretty much disgusted with the OMG HURT NIN COVER SO DEEP LOLZ fans, but even when i'm being objective "my way" blows it out of the water. cash has better covers, not to mention original songs. just buy "american recordings". i'd much rather listen to his cover of nick cave's "mercy seat", for example, over hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I wasn't trying to imply that this was Cash's best. I chose them because for me they are very similar in meaning but also very different if that at all makes sense.

nothumb 08-07-2005 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm a huge johnny cash fan. i'm pretty much disgusted with the OMG HURT NIN COVER SO DEEP LOLZ fans, but even when i'm being objective "my way" blows it out of the water. cash has better covers, not to mention original songs. just buy "american recordings". i'd much rather listen to his cover of nick cave's "mercy seat", for example, over hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

NT

RacersEdge 08-07-2005 02:32 PM

Sinatra at least in his early days in the 40s and 50s had a very pure singing voice.

jakethebake 08-07-2005 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sinatra at least in his early days in the 40s and 50s had a very pure singing voice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by "pure". If you mean it sounded like it was unhampered by actually knowing how to sing, then I'll agree. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Don't get me wrong. I like some of Sinatra's stuff. And I really like Johnny Cash. But I'll stand my by original statement.

Phoenix1010 08-07-2005 02:38 PM

Two incredibly good songs. My Way is probably my favorite song right now though, so it gets the nod.

RacersEdge 08-07-2005 02:41 PM

I meant he held his notes with a very pure tone. He didn't just "speak" the lyrics.

turnipmonster 08-07-2005 02:46 PM

ridiculous. sinatra had perfect pitch, and completely original phrasing. in fact miles davis is on record as saying early sinatra had a profound influence on his playing. the songs sinatra chose to sing all became standards and he literally defined the american songbook.

his early stuff with tommy dorsey is right up there with anything he ever recorded.

jakethebake 08-07-2005 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ridiculous. sinatra had perfect pitch, and completely original phrasing. in fact miles davis is on record as saying early sinatra had a profound influence on his playing. the songs sinatra chose to sing all became standards and he literally defined the american songbook.

his early stuff with tommy dorsey is right up there with anything he ever recorded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having perfect pitch does NOT necessarily mean someone can sing. Perfect pitch has to do with hearing. My stepmom has perfect pitch and can't sing as lick. Although she can play multiple instruments very well. The rest of that miles davis blah blah blah "literally defined the american songbook" blah blah blah also does not mean he can really sing.

As per someone's suggestion above, Bob Dylan certainly influenced more than a few musicians. It doesn't mean he can sing. Unlike Bob Dylan, Sinatra is very good to listen to. The songs are great, but I'm still standing by my original statement.

wacki 08-07-2005 03:04 PM

Odd the posters I know the best are so sure of My Way over Cash's Hurt. I haven't listened to My Way in over a year and I don't feel the urge to. Not the case with Hurt. I'll play both at the next poker game and see how it goes.