Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   The Fantasy Football Advice Column (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=308015)

Clarkmeister 08-05-2005 02:27 AM

Re: The Fantasy Football Advice Column

[ QUOTE ]
I figured I should open up a thread like the "Ask Bison" ones in OOT. Big difference is that mine is going to be about fantasy football, because that's pretty much the only thing I know anything about.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I generally don't go in with an actual list, and draft by the seat of my pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwahahahahaha.

kasey2004 08-05-2005 06:27 AM

Just drafted my first team on the free yahoo fantasy footabll just the ones for fun.

I am thinking about doing a couple of small price money buy in leagues, any advice on where should i go to sign up ? I dont want to spend more than $50 or so, but a chance to win something.

In the past i have done a lot of free leauges just for fun and i'm a huge football fan in general so i keep up to date on everything.

My other question is what do u think of my first team i drafted:

Dakota Dawgs
1. (3) P. Manning
2. (18) T. Owens
3. (23) T. Bell
4. (38) L. Coles
5. (43) R. Johnson
6. (58) T. Heap
7. (63) D. Mason
8. (78) Atlanta
9. (83) C. Benson
10. (98) New England
11. (103) S. Moss
12. (118) J. Wilkins
13. (123) C. Pennington
14. (138) Ma. Clayton
15. (143) T. Duckett

And my last question what sleepers do u predict this year ? anyone to get in the latter rounds that might be left over.

thanks,

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The Armchair 08-05-2005 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I figured I should open up a thread like the "Ask Bison" ones in OOT. Big difference is that mine is going to be about fantasy football, because that's pretty much the only thing I know anything about.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I generally don't go in with an actual list, and draft by the seat of my pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwahahahahaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had phrased this as a question, I'd have defended my reasoning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The Armchair 08-05-2005 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a poor team team in a league that keeps six players each year.

The only serviceable running back that I have is Chris Brown. I get first pick in the upcoming draft. Assuming that all proven Running Backs will be kept and only rookies are available, which one should I pick?

The league scores 6 points for a TD
1 point for 15 yards rushing or receiving
1/2 point per catch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arrington's my guy, unless you are not aiming to compete this year, in which case I'd probably go with Williams. (In fact, Williams may be the better option either way.)

You should also go after Ryan Moats if you can, for next year, but obviously not very early.

The Armchair 08-05-2005 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was watching ESPN the other day and they were talking about Westbrook in reference to there being trouble in camp with him. I didn't see the report and didn't see anything in ESPN's NFL page. Is there anything or am I imagining things?

Is Tatum Bell going to be the RB in Denver?

What do you think of Antonio Gates continuing his dominance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Westbrook isn't in camp but I'm not overly concerned with his absence. He's the only real backfield option in Philly -- Moats isn't going to start and Buckhalter can't provide the same type of passing game. And the Eagles are ready to let him walk next year anyway, so I fully expect them to use him until he breaks.

As for Bell, your guess is as good as mine. Normally I'd say that it has to be Bell, but this is Denver. I'm confident enough that he'll be the start that I'll grab him without hesitation in the second round, especially if I'm drafting toward the end of the second round (and am therefore more inclinded to take high risk, high reward players).

Gates is going to be a beast for years to come. He's in the same division as Gonzo, on a team with a bad defense, a great RB who is a great receiver, and an octogenarian third option in the passing game. He's basically Tony Gonzalez II. That said, I think he's most likely to put up about 800 yards and 7 or 8 TDs, making him better than your typical #2 WR and with a higher upside. I'd expect him to go in the third round to mid-forth, and that's slightly too high. The real question is whether his selection will cause an echo effect, resulting in Gonzo and Witten (and potentially Heap) going as well.

I'd probably aim for Witten at 6 and if he's gone already, not take a TE until a very late-round pick if at all.

brettbrettr 08-05-2005 08:49 AM

If I pass on Ron Dayne at #1 overall do you think I'll be able to grab him at 20? I dunno, seems risky...

The Armchair 08-05-2005 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of #'s do you think Culpepper will put up this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using Pro Football Prospectus for my projections and don't want to spread their information here; buy the book, that's how they get paid.

But I did run my own for Culpepper (for reasons not worth going into), and put him at about 3800 yards, 27-31 TDs, and probably 8-13 INTs.

The Armchair 08-05-2005 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just drafted my first team on the free yahoo fantasy footabll just the ones for fun.

I am thinking about doing a couple of small price money buy in leagues, any advice on where should i go to sign up ? I dont want to spend more than $50 or so, but a chance to win something.

In the past i have done a lot of free leauges just for fun and i'm a huge football fan in general so i keep up to date on everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a ton of collusion on many of the public ones. Find a group of friends.

[ QUOTE ]

My other question is what do u think of my first team i drafted:

Dakota Dawgs
1. (3) P. Manning
2. (18) T. Owens
3. (23) T. Bell
4. (38) L. Coles
5. (43) R. Johnson
6. (58) T. Heap
7. (63) D. Mason
8. (78) Atlanta
9. (83) C. Benson
10. (98) New England
11. (103) S. Moss
12. (118) J. Wilkins
13. (123) C. Pennington
14. (138) Ma. Clayton
15. (143) T. Duckett

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have a backup defense? Are you afraid your starting defense is going to get hurt?

As everything else, there are a lot of guys who you took too high (both defenses, Heap, potential Bell and Coles depending on who was left) and a lot of steals (Rudi at 43? Wow. -- and Duckett in the 15th is incredible.) And I don't like rookie receivers, Clayton may work for you because he was a polished college receiver and he basically backs up one of your starters.

If you are starting three WRs, your lineup is Manning, Rudi, Bell, TO, Coles, Mason, Heap, Wilkins, and a defense. In a ten-team league, it's pretty good but very boom or bust.

Because of this, you are going to find it difficult to improve the team. There are only about six WRs you'd rather have than Mason/Coles, and you may not have the assets to get such a player. I'd package Penny and Coles to get a guy like Torry Holt if I could, though.

Oh, and Pennington has to go. There are only two cases in which you would ever start him: an injury to Manning or on Manning's bye. Well, Peyton doesn't get injured all that often and Pennington is rarely healthy, so you missed the boat there. And they share the same bye week.

You want to take this chart and bookmark it or something.

[ QUOTE ]

And my last question what sleepers do u predict this year ? anyone to get in the latter rounds that might be left over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't put my list together yet as most of my drafts are still a few weeks away. Plus, my sleeper-discovery system is rather long, but thankfully outlined on pages 398-403 of Pro Football Prospectus.

If you demand a quick, off the cuff list, here goes:
Carson Palmer, TJ Duckett, LaBrandon Toefield, Frank Gore, Ronald Curry, Keenan McCardell, Antwaan Randle El, Kevin Curts, Erron Kinney, and Doug Jolley.

I'm sure I'm missing many, but again, I haven't put any sort of list together.

The Armchair 08-05-2005 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I pass on Ron Dayne at #1 overall do you think I'll be able to grab him at 20? I dunno, seems risky...

[/ QUOTE ]

In a ten-team league, he may be there for your second pick. But there's no way he'll be there in a fourteen-team league, because he'll die of starvation beforehand.

kasey2004 08-05-2005 09:22 AM

So, you really wouldnt recommend doing a public $39.99 or $49.99 leauge at all for collusion ?

I thought that public leagues were put together at random, and dont alot of places give everyone in the league a chance to veto an uneven trade ? or is that just yahoo ?

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]