Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Darse's NL Tournament Primer (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=306704)

Baloosh 08-03-2005 11:50 AM

Re: Darse\'s NL Tournament Primer

I think sarcasm is completely lost on everyone who's posting in this thread.

...except me....

...and betgo....

Potowame 08-03-2005 11:50 AM

I don't see this forest you are talking about, There are too many trees in the way....

08-03-2005 11:54 AM

Sarcasm does not tend to work very well on the internet.

However, when it is as blatent as here, I think its pretty easy to spot.

08-03-2005 01:11 PM

Still no comments on the Darse primer...so I am bumping this.

sekrah 08-03-2005 01:16 PM

I just read it on my lunch break.. It's pretty standard, solid NL tournament strategy.

You'll do better than the Average Joe if you follow it to a T.

My only quarrel would be starting hand selection. I think small suited connectors need to be played occaisionally in the proper situations (i.e. action to you in middle/late position, with just 1 or 2 limpers and other situations similar).

Overall though, it looks like a good, solid primer to work off of.

08-03-2005 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read it on my lunch break.. It's pretty standard, solid NL tournament strategy.

You'll do better than the Average Joe if you follow it to a T.

My only quarrel would be starting hand selection. I think small suited connectors need to be played occaisionally in the proper situations (i.e. action to you in middle/late position, with just 1 or 2 limpers and other situations similar).

Overall though, it looks like a good, solid primer to work off of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - just curious - in the situation you described, would you recommend coming in with a raise or a limp?

sekrah 08-03-2005 01:31 PM

As the primer said.. Raise. Whenever you play a pot, and you have the opportunity to be the first raiser.. Be it!

Re: Henry Tran two weeks ago in the WSOP Harrah's AC circuit event.. everyone limping in with marginal hands.. He raises with Q-J.. He ends up winning a huge pot.

08-03-2005 01:32 PM

Thanks again.

dmk 08-03-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As the primer said.. Raise. Whenever you play a pot, and you have the opportunity to be the first raiser.. Be it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just like to say that I think this is horrible advice. (yes, I realize Ferguson has said the above countless times. i still disagree w/ it)

08-03-2005 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just like to say that I think this is horrible advice. (yes, I realize Ferguson has said the above countless times. i still disagree w/ it)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

I can see the logic of both positions.

If you raise, then you may knock some of the limpers out - especially considering that they probably don't have particularly strong hands - so you have a chance to win the pot right there.

In addition, after the flop, there is a better chance that they will check around to you - which gives you a chance to either raise and try to take the pot or to get a free card.

If you call, your only real hope is to hit a favorable flop - otherwise, you are going to have to fold to anything.

Personally, I like the raise.