Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   a question out of curiosity... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=305562)

pokerjoker 08-01-2005 11:09 PM

Re: a question out of curiosity...

I keep 400 BB for whatever game I play in my account minimum. I treat that money like it is not available to me. If you need more money get a job to pay expenses then let your poker money grow as a seperate fund.

swolfe 08-01-2005 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I keep 400 BB for whatever game I play in my account minimum. I treat that money like it is not available to me. If you need more money get a job to pay expenses then let your poker money grow as a seperate fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're too short

fimbulwinter 08-01-2005 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're already up to 1000nl?

[/ QUOTE ]

have been for a while now

[ QUOTE ]
Weren't you just at 100/200nl? or am i making this up?

[/ QUOTE ]

i took about a 6 month hiatus from online poker to finish college and enjoy myself. when i left, i was playing 100 and 200NL but was almost adequately bankrolled for $1KNL. before i hand't the time or desire to study enough to beat the 1K game.

when i got back, i played 100 and 200 to get back into things (after playing only live for so long) and then moved to 400 6max where i played until a 2+2'er brought me into a good 1K game, where i've been on a bit of a heater.

fim

Go_Blue88 08-02-2005 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i make more money than my buddies do in their jobs.

Go_Blue88 08-02-2005 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i took about a 6 month hiatus from online poker to finish college and enjoy myself. when i left, i was playing 100 and 200NL but was almost adequately bankrolled for $1KNL. before i hand't the time or desire to study enough to beat the 1K game.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm thinking of doing something very similar to this, except i might take the entire year off.

vulturesrow 08-02-2005 05:29 AM

Good thread. I have been thinking about this some time myself.I havent had any sort of coherent plan when it comes to cashing out. Ive played several forms of online poker to included stud, stud 8/b, limit and no limit holdem, and omaha 8/b. Ive been a winner at all of them, except for a nasty run at 1/2 limit 6-max, a stretch of variance about which I still have nightmares. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Basically, I cashed out when I wanted to buy something nice for my wife or kids. However, I have decided I am losing money by not moving up in stakes faster and so I think I am going to make a serious push up in stakes and not touch my money until I am at a level where I feel like I take a break for a while. But I will definitely revist this thread when I get to a point where I feel like slowing down and spending some of my earnings.

jhall23 08-02-2005 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont cash out. But I have a good job so I don't need the money. And I want to move up as quickly as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

GrunchCan 08-02-2005 11:18 AM

I cash out 1/6 of every month's net gain and give it to the house (wife). Helps pay the bills & stuff. It's just a little extra juice though. We both have good jobs.

Go_Blue88 08-02-2005 04:01 PM

in conclusion...

i've been thinking about this, and i've decided that i'll play at the stakes in which i feel most comfortable having losing days--ie-if i get stuck in a night, can i still go on living my life as if it didn't happen? for example, last semester i worked my bankroll up to one that was adequate for NL600, but when i had my first downswing i was definitely not mentally prepared for it. after dropping 3 grand in a night i didn't exactly feel like going out with my buddies or writing a paper.

thus, i've decided to cash out down to 2200 and just play NL100. everytime i reach 2600 (hopefully every weekend), i'll cash out back to 2200. moving up in stakes is no longer a priority; i need the money. the day i became a better player was the day i stopped playing for the rush; if i make 800 in a night i'm not that excited, and if i lose 500, it doesn't effect me. however, looking at poker as a job sort of takes the fun out of it for me; it no longer seems like a hobby. i'm considering quitting.

thanks for the thoughts guys.