Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Internet Paranoia (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=301514)

evans075 07-28-2005 10:28 AM

Re: Internet Paranoia

They are too lazy to fix their software problems, much less chase after spammers.

M.B.E. 07-28-2005 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Er, Party might have 4 or 5k tables open at once. Hiring 500 people to look at 8 tables each is somewhat impractical.

[/ QUOTE ]
They wouldn't need to monitor every table, because each spammer presumably spams many tables -- you only need to catch them once.

The real question is, after Party bans a spammer how difficult is it for the spammer to open a new account with a different name.

CORed 07-28-2005 11:40 AM

Bots:
As a poker player and programmer, I can tell you that writing a bot capable of beating even low limit holdem would take hundreds of programmer hours. This doesn't mean it can't be done. However, sites can take counter-measures. I believe (based on some posts here, not on personal experience) that Party is already using some counter-measures: A popup with a graphic containing distorted text thet the player is required to enter in an input field to continue playing. This is very difficult for a computer program to do, but easy for a human being. There is at least one commercial bot program available called winholdem. I believe that this is one of the programs that will get you banned from Party, and their client is capable of scanning running processes, and maybe hard drive files, for programs that violate their terms and conditions.

Programs that let you see other players cards:
These programs work (well sort of). What their spammed promotions don't tell you is that they let you see other players' mucked cards, after the hand is over (only if the player called on the river). This is useful information, but of course not nearly as useful as seeing other players' cards while the hand is in progress. By the way, this information is already available to you on many sites by looking at the hand history. On Party, you can bring up the hand history while you are playing by clicking the link in the upper right hand corner of the table window. These programs may make it more convenient to get that information, but they really don't give you anything you can't get if you know how already. The way the sellers of these programs advertize them indicates that they are scumbags, so I wouldn't do business with them even if I found their product useful, but that's just me.

CORed 07-28-2005 11:43 AM

I'm not sure that Pary isn't already banning the spammers. It seems like every time I see one of these messages it's under a different user ID. I think Party is banning them, but they keep creating new accounts. Of course, with a little ingenuity, they should be able to do it faster, but, after all this is Party.

CORed 07-28-2005 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about making it so only players who have bought in to a real money game can chat...This at least elimintaes some spam...I want to find a way to elimintate the spam that cames directly from Party too!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but that would also eliminate one of my favorite "side" activities while playing poker: Verbally abusing the railbirds that ask for a "loan" of $50.

william kidd 08-04-2005 01:06 AM

Pokerbot.com has said they have away around the pokersites detection software. They say if you use two computers, one with their software on it and another with the pokersites software on it, the pokersites cant detect it. Its not hard to get the 2 computers together for this.
Just my two cents. This info is on their site
Not paranoid, just came across it and it surprised me