Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   My Poker Logic (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=300476)

pzhon 07-26-2005 02:27 AM

Re: My Poker Logic

[ QUOTE ]

Well basically I ran my bankroll to 1000 playin pretty much how all the regular poker books adviced to play, very tight preflop, only taking flops with the best hands and betting the max with any A/A hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which books say always raise the maximum with AAxx? That seems wrong by a lot. Very often you should limp/call or limp/reraise.

Jorge10 07-26-2005 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which books say always raise the maximum with AAxx? That seems wrong by a lot. Very often you should limp/call or limp/reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hellmuth's book, I knew nothing I say, thats my excuse and im sticking to it.

KenProspero 07-26-2005 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sadly the 400 tables arent very good often, and the 200 tables are also terrible most of the time. The only good ones are the 100 tables. So im winning about 150 a day. So itll be a while before I can play in the 1000 level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by saying here. If you have a strategy that works against all styles, and the players at the 200 and 400 aren't very good, it seem that this should be more profitable. If on the other hand, your system doesn't pay off well at these games, then it doesn't seem to work against all styles. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though.

As to your playing against the 'book'. I've long thought that there are certain games that are exploitable using what would otherwise be an unorthodox strategy. I played a 1/2 $100 NL Hold em game at Foxwoods recently where 7 or 8 tried to limp in every pot. The strategy, which worked for this session (not statistically valid) was to loosen up considerably with drawing hands because of the implied odds and punish the limpers when I got big hands, especially in position (kind of like a mega blind steal). I wouldn't say that this is the best way to play in most games, but 'felt' right for this game.

A better example, Sklansky and Malmuth came out with Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players -- which became the Bible for mid-limit games. Yet, they realized that this was not the optimal strategy for low limit games, hence Ed Miller's book. In other words, no single book is correct for every game. Eventually, the lucky few successful players reach the point where the 'book' is a guideline, and game conditions are more important.

It's very possible that your LAG style is correct for the particular game you're playing -- from your posts it sounds like you have a big enough sample that your results are likely not a fluke.

Unfortunately, as you move up, you may find that your whole system falls apart when you're playing with better players. The problem, of course is that you can't develop an optimal strategy for the better players while playing against the worse players.

punter11235 07-26-2005 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sadly the 400 tables arent very good often, and the 200 tables are also terrible most of the time. The only good ones are the 100 tables. So im winning about 150 a day. So itll be a while before I can play in the 1000 level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand this. Do you think that 1000PLO/8 tables are easier then 200 or 400 ? If so I am going to put all my money there because 200 and 400 PLO/8 at Party can be crushed by weak tight nutpeddler who only plays nuts only bets nuts and only play A2 and AA hands preflop without all the trickery and looseness you developed. Also try PLO/8 at Paradise because there are often few people completely without a clue about the game (but there are many good regulars too). I dont think that jumping to 1000PLO/8 would be good idea...

Best wishes

Hamlet 07-26-2005 12:36 PM

I think it might be worth your time to read the PLO section of Super System 2.

A huge difference between PLO and most other poker played today (ie, Holdem) is that the hand values run much closer together. In holdem you can get to be a 4 to 1 favorite pre-flop. In PLO, it is very rare to be a huge favorite pre-flop.

AAxy is not a huge favorite over a decent coordinated hand. I think that there are alot of beginning PLO players that actually lose money with this hand, since when they raise with it out of position, they are basically playing with two of their 4 cards face up. Good players take a flop with them with a hand like 689T double suited and break them.

This is not to say that playing very loose in PLO will be a good plan against decent players. You can probably get away with it in the lower online games though, as long as you pick hands that have some way of making a nut hand, you keep the pot reasonably small pre-flop, and you make sure to not play much out of position.

Position is everything PLO. In Tunica, they let people straddle from the button, and it happens all the time in the PLO games because a decent player has such a huge positional advantage.

Jorge10 07-26-2005 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont understand this. Do you think that 1000PLO/8 tables are easier then 200 or 400 ? If so I am going to put all my money there because 200 and 400 PLO/8 at Party can be crushed by weak tight nutpeddler who only plays nuts only bets nuts and only play A2 and AA hands preflop without all the trickery and looseness you developed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, its just the games arent always going, maybe the times I play have to do something with it, I mean the last few days at the times I was on I saw maybe 1 400 table, but some days theres a ton, its very unstable, the 200 tables are always there, but a lot of times they get full of rocks who wont give action to no one, including me and in that case its kind of worthless, but yeah when they are avaible and going, the 200 and 400 tables are very easy to beat with nut peddling, they just arent always going, the 2000 seems to always be going, but I dont know its hard to find a good big Pot Limit Omaha High Low game, hence the reason behind me also learning omaha high. I should go see the paradise tables if I want to make the most money I must hunt down games, lol.

Erik Blazynski 07-26-2005 03:39 PM

I have experienced the same thing playing low limit limit holdem. I was getting killed playing the tight(right) game. So I started seeing flops when I had the odds, you know getting 6:1, I see a flop for $4. Then you have to make great decisions.. Problem is that I stopped making great decisions, and my BR went from $1200 to $500 in about 14 hours.. I've been laboring about what has gone wrong with my game, and now I realize, bad post flop decisions...

Thanks for this post... and maybe you should write the book, you ever think of that? I don't believe that without the benefit of hindsight that there is a perfect way to play any of the poker games..

-Erik

Jorge10 07-26-2005 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for this post... and maybe you should write the book, you ever think of that? I don't believe that without the benefit of hindsight that there is a perfect way to play any of the poker games..

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know about me writting a book, im still working on my game and kind of too young to really say I have experience, maybe later, I rather not write a book right now that will be terrible and just a really lame attempt at money grabbing while poker is hot, I hate people who write poker books after playing 3 hands because they think they are gods gift to poker. So many terrible books out there, anyway, did you read my other post, you seemed to like this one, the other one in this forum was interesting as well, something to read, lol.

07-28-2005 10:27 PM

i don't see anything wrong with you working on a book. so you're young and haven't been playing long - that's the hook. i've been keeping an eye on your omaha 8 posts and you seem to understand how someone with minimal feel for the more subjective elements of poker can thrive at low limit omaha 8 where the decisions are purely mathematical and one can take more advantage of others making poor decisions. your book could be marketed to those new to poker, but who are quite bright, and don't want to kicked around. i know plenty of people who i'd recommend it to.