Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Tossing AK (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=299832)

SoftcoreRevolt 07-25-2005 04:04 AM

Re: Tossing AK

How are we increasing out chances a lot by going heads up? We are only increasing our chances here if we think AK is the best hand. If it is not right now, our chances of improvement really don't decrease with a lot of people in here as the board is drawless. If we spike our ace, we have the best habd. We beat all two pairs unless someone has AT-AQ and hits a runner runner two pair, or aces and Kings don't complete a draw. If we hit our hand, we are much more likely to be paid off than to pay someone off here assumg our outs are live.

MrEngenic 07-25-2005 04:18 AM

Hard to say without a read. I would call the flop and raise turn many times against some players and fold right away agaist some.

Griovejas 07-25-2005 04:19 AM

Can you say "flush draw"?

MrEngenic 07-25-2005 04:41 AM

If he is the kind of player who would bet A5, a flush draw, a 9 and a bluff here (I would bet all those) I would call the flop and raise the turn (check/folding river) if the heart doesn't get there. If turn is a heart I call and fold for one bet on the river unless I hit.

What will raising the non heart turn accomplish? He will often fold a 5, a low pocket and call with a flush draw. If 3-bet it's an ubereasy fold.
This way, against many players you will make them fold a better hand, you charge the flush draw maximum to draw and you won't get bluffed from the pot unless he has guts to 3-bet a bluff.

Comments?

siccjay 07-25-2005 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hard to say without a read. I would call the flop and raise turn many times against some players and fold right away agaist some.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO calling the flop and raising the turn with the nut no pair is just silly.

pryor15 07-25-2005 05:28 AM

minus a read, i raise this flop to put the fear of an overpair in the back of his head (assuming, of course, that he's capable of realizing that) and because, honestly, i think you're looking at either a random 5, a flush draw, or 66-QQ (minus, of course, 99). anything else would mildly surprise me, but it wouldn't be the first time, i guess.

i then probably check the turn UI, putting myself in that odd situation where i invite the bluff from a busted flush draw.

invictus33 07-25-2005 05:52 AM

Most people here are saying to call or raise but no one has shown how this can have a +EV!

@bsolute_luck 07-25-2005 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people here are saying to call or raise but no one has shown how this can have a +EV!

[/ QUOTE ]

how would you like it shown? this is an odd way to play trip 9s. maybe a 5, midpocket pair, or a flush draw. all that you have outs against plus if the flush comes on the turn you have a redraw to the nuts. does that help?

Boolean 07-25-2005 06:11 AM

Assume it is equally likely that your opponent has either a 5 or a 9. He can also have a pocket pair that he likes, say 66-88, TT. Also, he could possibly even have an Ace with a lower kicker. We just don't know. Against all of those hands except the nines, we have 7.5 outs to (unless they have A5 or) or we're ahead. So, there are 2 cards that are out there that leave us drawing mostly dead, and a plethora of hands that we actually have a good shot at. There are 9 bets in the pot, how can we not at least call this? Betting outright does not make it likely that he has a 9! In fact, it's actually *less* likely as a 9 would want to check-raise to get the most out of his hand. Folding here is a clear error unless you have reads otherwise.

kapw7 07-25-2005 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How are we increasing out chances a lot by going heads up?

[/ QUOTE ]

3- handed 33.33% avg equity
HU - 50%

Thus a 33% increase.