Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Not capping w/ JJ...dunno why but... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=299783)

hockey1 07-25-2005 11:03 AM

Re: Not capping w/ JJ...dunno why but...

I smoothcall 3 bets with big pairs preflop HU at least as often as I cap them. Not only do I think it allows me to extract more value from the hand, but it has great meta-game advantages as well.

ike 07-25-2005 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I smoothcall 3 bets with big pairs preflop HU at least as often as I cap them. Not only do I think it allows me to extract more value from the hand, but it has great meta-game advantages as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yay. I'm not alone.

xniNja 07-25-2005 02:12 PM

I almost always call in that spot with JJ unless I think my opponent is very weak and not only do I have him dominated, but my cap won't lose later pot equity. When I call, I'm hoping to spike a jack... or see a lowball flop hoping my opponent 3-bet AK.

With JJ you can't be a large favorite to almost anything he'd 3-bet you with...

Note to all cappers: 20/14/1.79 probably is pretty solid... Believe me if you raise UTG and I 3-bet you, I've got JJ beat & most people with those or better stats probably do too.

DcifrThs 07-25-2005 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Believe me if you raise UTG and I 3-bet you, I've got JJ beat & most people with those or better stats probably do too.

[/ QUOTE ]

then you hare simply too tight.

you would have 83% of my UTG raising hands beat if you 3bet me w/ JJ.

-Barron

DcifrThs 07-25-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the difference between this section (where Sklansky prescribes a more passive line), and the aggressive approach advocated in this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

DS wrote that for games before the internet. meaning way way more passive overall play.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, why is this situation a definite flop/turn raise, and not a way ahead/behind call down situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

why on earth would i want AK to get a free card. lower 3betting pairs may call me down anyways since the board was 2tone. also, since i DO raise AJs here i would like to see if he folds, which i want him to, and which he did.

-Barron

Senor Choppy 07-25-2005 04:58 PM

He has a PFR of 14. He's 3-betting with a lot of hands that are crushed by JJ.

DcifrThs 07-25-2005 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has a PFR of 14. He's 3-betting with a lot of hands that are crushed by JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

is it really that high....lemme go check the ol PT database...unless you datamined the 1/2 game, in which case you're clearly right...

double check: 12.81!!! so HA 10.21% from UTG though so if you are only 3betting me w/ JJ or better, haha on you.

-Barron

Senor Choppy 07-25-2005 05:32 PM

Talking about your opponent in this hand.

You're too much of a rock to 3-bet with anything but aces [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

ike 07-25-2005 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You're too much of a rock to 3-bet with anything but aces [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. I folded KK from the BB to barron's raise first in from the button yesterday. It was clearly correct.

mach3 07-25-2005 06:36 PM

I routinely do this in higher limit shorthanded games where people go bonkers w/ A-high and top pair. I especially like it on the button when a blind 3 bets you thinking you are stealing w/ garbage.