Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Thinking ahead with continuation bets (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=296734)

locutus2002 07-20-2005 11:50 AM

Re: Thinking ahead with continuation bets

I check behind.

You have a hand that could easily improve to be the best so you want to continue in the hand.
It's likely that you do not have the best hand.
If you bet and get check-raised it will be hard to continue.
It's early.
It's more likely for you to have a drawing hand than TT++.

A_PLUS 07-20-2005 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My initial reaction when seeing this hand is that we are still ahead and given their stack sizes, I think we need to push if we're going to prevent free cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

We arent afraid of free cards. If you threw away the flop and forced us to play just the next two cards, we are huge favorites to all non paired hands. So either we are way ahead or looking at a 70/30 dog.

The only problem with checking is the risk that we fold to a bet from Aj on the turn.

KyleM 07-20-2005 11:56 AM

You missed the flop against two players that could each be holding literally any two cards and might call with bottom pair if you push (consider your circumstances!). So I'm checking here. If they check to you on the turn then I'm putting a bet in, pretty much regardless of the turn card.

Potowame 07-20-2005 11:56 AM

If you are ahead, how is giving a free card going to hurt you ? A small pp is calling a push on this flop, because it looks like you want them to fold, I dont think Hero would play a over pair in this fashion. Heads up I could see a making a play at the pot , Three way early I am checking and thinking them for the free card.

sekrah 07-20-2005 11:58 AM

Agree.. There's no reason not to think we're ahead here.

If we get called or raised were beat and we know it.. if we check, we're still in the dark and pretty much putting our faith on winning the pot with our 6-outer.

Must bet the flop.. Checking is a weak option.

Stoneii 07-20-2005 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we get called or raised were beat and we know it.. if we check, we're still in the dark and pretty much putting our faith on winning the pot with our 6-outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really - ok - now put yourself in one of the "limpers" shoes - when he raises preflop u may well put him on what he has and decide to take him off a "feeler" bet !!! I might [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

stoneii

Brad F. 07-20-2005 12:09 PM

My question before I make the move here is what are both of the limp-callers checking with after the flop here. I don't see either of them in all-liklihood limp-calling with Aces or Kings, probably even queens. 10-10 and J-J maybe make sense. In these cases though, I'd expect a flop bet from those hands. Hands like K-Q, K-J, Q-J, other suited connecters check here in all liklihood.

Other possibilities would be other pocket pairs which missed their sets, and give you credit for a higher pp.

Also a possibility is one of them hitting a set.

With all of these possible meanings of the limps, I think a continuation bet of 250 sounds about right. If either smooth calls, you can suspect a set. A reraise, maybe 10-10 or JJ. But I don't see either villian logically playing 10s or Js like that.

I have a bad feeling you bet too much and lost a showdown to a set. Results?

Brad

A_PLUS 07-20-2005 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can say we are most likely beat, and I will agree. But you cant say "know", b/c we dont. As I mentioned I was check raised all in by AQ 10 hands ago at a prior table, so lets not pretend it is impossible. If you give the villan a 5-10% chance of bluffing at this pot with a check raise, then you have to call if you bet 250. Its a call I will make, but not one I am crazy about making.

schwza 07-20-2005 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only problem with checking is the risk that we fold to a bet from Aj on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why checking makes me a little queasy. i like a bet of 225. it's kinda small, but if villain is willing to c/r air, nh, he wins the pot.

schwza 07-20-2005 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can say we are most likely beat, and I will agree. But you cant say "know", b/c we dont. As I mentioned I was check raised all in by AQ 10 hands ago at a prior table, so lets not pretend it is impossible. If you give the villan a 5-10% chance of bluffing at this pot with a check raise, then you have to call if you bet 250. Its a call I will make, but not one I am crazy about making.

[/ QUOTE ]

i haven't done the math, but i'd be surprised if that's right? are you including the times villain has 77/A9, etc and you have 0-3 outs instead of 6?