Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Phil Hellmuth - not a gambler (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295369)

Mike Cuneo 07-18-2005 10:40 PM

Re: Phil Hellmuth - not a gambler

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This led me to wonder whether I'd be willing to risk 10% of my total liquid assets as a 55/45 favorite. Hard to say for sure when it's just theoretical, but I'm fairly certain that I'd take that bet. Maybe not for more than 30% though...

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that Doyle Brunson said in SS1 that he'd bet everything he owned on a coin flip if he got 2-1 odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was 10-1

[/ QUOTE ]

It was.

maurile 07-18-2005 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This led me to wonder whether I'd be willing to risk 10% of my total liquid assets as a 55/45 favorite. Hard to say for sure when it's just theoretical, but I'm fairly certain that I'd take that bet. Maybe not for more than 30% though...

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that Doyle Brunson said in SS1 that he'd bet everything he owned on a coin flip if he got 2-1 odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was 10-1

[/ QUOTE ]

It was.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well hell, anybody would do that.

Beavis68 07-18-2005 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
phil is a gambler, youre wrong about that.

youre also wrong about his reasons for not taking daniels offer. i believe that phil knows daniel is the favorite. he also doesnt play this high for many reasons. i really doubt that phil is worth 5 mill. lets be realistic here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Based on this page, I'd be shocked if it wasn't at least 5M

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...?a=r&n=117

That is just his tourney cashes and if my quick and dirty addition is correct it is just under 5M.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be surprised if someone who made less than 5 million in 17 years ignoring expenses wasnt worth more than 5 million?

maurile 07-18-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
phil is a gambler, youre wrong about that.

youre also wrong about his reasons for not taking daniels offer. i believe that phil knows daniel is the favorite. he also doesnt play this high for many reasons. i really doubt that phil is worth 5 mill. lets be realistic here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Based on this page, I'd be shocked if it wasn't at least 5M

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...?a=r&n=117

That is just his tourney cashes and if my quick and dirty addition is correct it is just under 5M.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be surprised if someone who made less than 5 million in 17 years ignoring expenses wasnt worth more than 5 million?

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's Hellmuth I would be. The guy sold a zillion books, and he's said he got lucky in the stock market and other investments.

TStoneMBD 07-19-2005 12:34 AM

dude

1) taxes
2) 17 years
3) expenses
4) deduct buyins pls
5) he might have been bankrolled for some of the events and only took a portion (?)

45suited 07-19-2005 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads up NLHE, I don't believe that DN would be the favorite. I'm not talking about what the betting line would be, just who I believe would have the better chances. I certainly don't believe that Hellmuth would believe that DN would be favored.

Say what you want about Hellmuth (I'm one of the few people that kind of likes him), but I think that he is undoubtedly one of the more "normal" poker pros and doesn't want to make huge gambles with his bankroll. I respect him for that.

curtains 07-19-2005 02:48 AM

Even if I had 30 million dollar bankroll I wouldn't play headsup for 500k.

Jman28 07-19-2005 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Even if I had 30 million dollar bankroll I wouldn't play headsup for 500k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you figured to be a 60% favorite?

m1illion 07-19-2005 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads up NLHE, I don't believe that DN would be the favorite. I'm not talking about what the betting line would be, just who I believe would have the better chances. I certainly don't believe that Hellmuth would believe that DN would be favored.

Say what you want about Hellmuth (I'm one of the few people that kind of likes him), but I think that he is undoubtedly one of the more "normal" poker pros and doesn't want to make huge gambles with his bankroll. I respect him for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 99.9% sure phil said dan is a favorite in limit

45suited 07-19-2005 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 99.9% sure phil said dan is a favorite in limit

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, but wasn't part of DN's challenge that his opponents could choose the game?

I'm sure that Hellmuth would not play for these stakes (good for him) but if he had to, I'm sure he'd choose NLHE. I wasn't referring to limit.