Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Quick one. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=293460)

Fianchetto 07-15-2005 03:20 PM

Re: Quick one.

In retrospect I agree, the calldown line/raise the river if board pairs is probably better against this guy. As I said, I'd only played about 1.5 hours with him and I had pegged him as weak/passive. At the time my thought process was this:

"Okay, he check raised me on the turn, he needs at least two pair for that. I beat all two pair hands, I 3-bet..."

"..Whoops, he 4-bet me, he has either the nuts or very close to it. I call, and hope the board pairs AND that I'm not up against a bigger set."

River bricked and I don't think he has a hand that I can beat.

==================================

Later that session, I open raise from the Hijack with A6o, same player is the only caller in blinds.

Flop: 8 5 4 (rainbow)

he check/calls my bet

Turn: 8

he check/calls my bet

River: K

he bets, I muck, and I overhear him telling the player next to him that he held K8 for the boat.

Not sure if this was a skillful rope, or more evidence of very passive play, but probably the latter.

lil feller 07-15-2005 03:21 PM

This fold is horrible. Simply horrible.

Not just in terms of how rarely you need to be good in order for a call to be correct, but did you consider the metagame ramifications of making this fold. Everybody in the room knows you have a set, and now you've shown them you'll fold it heads-up on a relatively non-threatning board. Yuck.

This river certainly presents you a difficult decision, but its close, and i'd much rather make a bet sized mistake than a BIG POT sized mistake. Making laydowns like this is hardly worth the risk of mucking the winner in a pot this big.

Call

lf

DcifrThs 07-15-2005 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you call the last raise on the turn but muck the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I was pretty sure he had turned a straight, and I wanted to see if I could fill up.

[/ QUOTE ]

so why 3 bet his c'r?

-Barron

Fianchetto 07-15-2005 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so why 3 bet his c'r?

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it wasn't until the moment he 4-bet in tempo that I realized the strength of his hand, see my post above regarding my thoughts during the hand.

Also, I understand that there are metagame consequences to folding what appears to be a strong hand on the end, and that may sway a close decision. But with respect to the hand itself, I really thought I was beat, and isn't saving bets here and there based on specific reads part of where a good player's edge comes from?

I guess its hard to be 100% sure, but I'd say I was at least 95% sure I held a loser on the river, and even with the pot size at 13BB or so, that is enough to warrant a fold, right.

Notorious G.O.B. 07-15-2005 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think you need to make this kind of laydown, you should do it on the turn, not the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I didn't notice there was a straight possibility on board.