Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   danny negreanu's heart beat rate under pressure situations (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=292687)

galahad_187 07-14-2005 09:05 PM

Re: danny negreanu\'s heart beat rate under pressure situations

i workout 6 days a week but my heartrate sucks. But im a total gimp and can't do any good cardio =P.

and yes gordan has a shitload more money than danny im sure. He sold his internet company for what? 95 million or something?

EricW 07-14-2005 10:26 PM

I think this is quite interesting because in my psych classes, I've read that there have been studies showing that con artists, sociopaths and others who use the art of deception have low heart beat rate and low reaction to stress. I guess there could be some genetic link to how good of a poker player by how well you respond to stressful situtations.

xniNja 07-15-2005 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Gordon has a boatload of money compared to Daniel if that makes a difference. I think I know why Dainel's heart rate is well controlled but you can draw your own conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying what everyone thinks you are- that TILT is not a mere fictional fantasy but based on actual events?! Sure if you know what cards your opponent has- or what cards are coming you'd be pretty calm.

Side note- Negreanu is known for "staking" many players into the WSOP event/s (I heard like ~15-20)... it's not illegal- he could technically be investing in their success... but I still think it's a questionable tactic.

zuluking 07-15-2005 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man that's awesome. I'm so glad you shared that with everybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem.

DarkForceRising 07-15-2005 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Man that's awesome. I'm so glad you shared that with everybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope nobody actually thinks that they are going to get a rise out of someone with a heart rate that good. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

07-19-2005 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could see him remaining rather calm given that the money doesn't really mean all that much to him.
Of couse he could just have nerves of steel, but I think his financial comfort zone might have something to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can hear the blood pounding in my ears on an all-in in little $10 buy-ins in home games. The money doesn't matter in the least. It's the game, the desire to have made the right choice. When I played sports (volleyball) I'd go back for a serve and tell myself "be aggressive" and I could channel that nervousness into a play.

In poker it's particular hard as there's no physical outlet.