Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Probability (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Worst Omaha 8OB hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=292682)

elitegimp 07-14-2005 11:52 PM

Re: Worst Omaha 8OB hand

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't hold'em. You don't have to avoid the board's kickers.

If the board is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and you have K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], you lose to 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. You have AAAKJ, and lose to a full house, AAA22.

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh! This is why I don't play Omaha for money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pzhon 07-15-2005 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

D'oh! This is why I don't play Omaha for money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it is amazing how many people play Omaha for money without being able to read the board. One guy complained that my flush beat his full house. The board wasn't paired; I think he wanted to use 3 cards. I've seen people call river bets with one card straights that were really one pair. In theory, Omaha may be more complicated than Hold'em, but in practice, I think it takes less time to become a winning low stakes player in Omaha.

fannar 07-15-2005 12:57 PM

After actually picking up 2222 once in a Omaha 8OB pot limit game, I came to the same conclusion. BTW the probability of picking up 2222 is 1/C(52, 4) = 1/270725. Made me feel kind of special, as I haven't played that much Omaha.

Stephen H 07-15-2005 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't hold'em. You don't have to avoid the board's kickers.

If the board is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and you have K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], you lose to 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. You have AAAKJ, and lose to a full house, AAA22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good catch. I haven't really played Omaha and that slipped my mind...I was too wrapped up in the serendipity of there being exactly 7 unused cards in a 10 handed Omaha deal and 7 cards that gave a 4 of a kind or paired the board cards.
For that matter, I suppose you could have AAAKK on the board, and as long as no one had a pair in hand (naturally the case ace must be dead as well), you'd still have the only full house.