Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Very Well Played Hand 1/2 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=290866)

srm80 07-12-2005 12:38 AM

Re: Very Well Played Hand 1/2

don't know if I would take a stand against a steal with 33, and I wouldn't call 6XBB raise with a HU pot and all I am looking for to win the pot is another 3. Maybe if the raise was in EP and there were 3 other callers, then I could call profitably with 33

mythrilfox 07-12-2005 01:13 AM

So when the flop comes with 3 overcards what's your plan.

Only plan I can see is to go completely broke.

poboy 07-12-2005 01:14 AM

What would you take a stand with, surely more than just big pairs? AK,AQ,KQ maybe 88-TT? You are ahead of villians range of hands with all those hands and small pairs. Also folding pairs to a 6xBB raise is very weak-tight, as long as the stacks justify calling you are losing ev by folding. I believe everyone is advocating a fold in this situation because they do not believe hero will win a big pot if he hits and will likely be outplayed postflop if he misses. I'm advocating an alternative would be to not let it get to the flop where he could be pushed off the best hand(which he very likely has). JMO

poboy 07-12-2005 01:25 AM

I don't plan on seeing a flop. If I'm called I'm pretty well done barring a great flop. Seriously how often do you expect to be called though? Villian is probably raising ATC in this spot, very few of those can stand a reraise. JMO

srm80 07-12-2005 01:28 AM

so its either bet huge to win 12 or fold, and if you are called you are busted?

bkholdem 07-12-2005 01:33 AM

This is just one hand. It is one of many occuring in the game, it is not occuring in a vacuum. Why is there a discussion about 'taking a stand'? Has villian been pounding hero's blind a lot recently? I don't remember reading that.

I say fold.

srm80 07-12-2005 01:42 AM

thought it was taking a stand anytime you defend your blind, i guess i was mistaken

poboy 07-12-2005 01:45 AM

Actually you don't need to bet huge and their is $15 in the pot. A resteal is just that a steal, sometimes you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar. Another poster has already stated that if you raise to $45 you need him to fold 75% of the time, I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation. I actually think he'll fold considerably more often than that. JMO

poboy 07-12-2005 01:58 AM

I'm not arguing taking a stand, I'm providing an alternative to folding. I don't think folding is horrible(it's clearly better than calling) just that raising would be even better. Folding has neutral expectation , I believe raising has +ev in this situation. JMO

BB_Specials 07-12-2005 02:48 AM

Check raising a big PFR is almost always viewed as a slowplay of AA or KK. I think this will be folded enough by the button to make this play profitable. I did it to John DA'gustino on Full Tilt and scammed $36 off of him with a mere A8s.

The problem with this play is that you can only do it rarely at best. It would be helpful if you did this when you had the goods once in while and showed it down or showed when you mucked.