Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How many days/week do you play? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=285457)

RydenStoompala 07-05-2005 08:06 AM

Re: How many days/week do you play?

Since switching from limit to NL the hours have increased because the results are so much better. I agree with the poster who plays Omaha 8ob and tournaments. I will jump to tournies, Omaha or other games depending on the action. Tournaments are incredibly profitable if you can play NL. I play almost every day but I am much more game selective than I used to be. I still prefer B+M to internet. It's been much more profitable.

Jeffage 07-05-2005 08:41 AM

Jeff

fluorescenthippo 07-08-2005 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just went semi-pro a few months ago, turned $75 into over $1,000 so far, but not quitting my day job anytime soon.

I usually do two or three-hour long sessions, sometimes longer, depending on what I'm playing.

I'll four-table Omaha Hi/Lo ring games (limit, not pot limit, and full-ring, not 6-max) or I'll play a single Multi-Table tournament.

If I didn't work for a living, it might be easier to play more often. I actually only work 32 hours per week by choice, but my fiance' is pretty needy for attention.

Prime-time for me to play is 6pm on, eastern standard time. Those seem to be the best for fishy play for my cash games.

I enjoy hitting up the morning guaranteed tournaments because there's usually a nice overlay on Empire.

If you're making $22/hr, that's pretty sweet, not sure how sustainable it is or what length/track record you have. But certainly, don't play to the point of exhaustion or being uncomfortable or unhappy. Life is too short to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this really semi pro? damn, im closer to being a pro than i thought

kasey2004 07-08-2005 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just went semi-pro a few months ago, turned $75 into over $1,000 so far, but not quitting my day job anytime soon.

I usually do two or three-hour long sessions, sometimes longer, depending on what I'm playing.

I'll four-table Omaha Hi/Lo ring games (limit, not pot limit, and full-ring, not 6-max) or I'll play a single Multi-Table tournament.

If I didn't work for a living, it might be easier to play more often. I actually only work 32 hours per week by choice, but my fiance' is pretty needy for attention.

Prime-time for me to play is 6pm on, eastern standard time. Those seem to be the best for fishy play for my cash games.

I enjoy hitting up the morning guaranteed tournaments because there's usually a nice overlay on Empire.

If you're making $22/hr, that's pretty sweet, not sure how sustainable it is or what length/track record you have. But certainly, don't play to the point of exhaustion or being uncomfortable or unhappy. Life is too short to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the definition of Semi-Pro ?

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

newfant 07-08-2005 08:53 AM

I think how often you can play depends on (1) the level you play at (2) your skill level and (3) your bankroll.

If you're constantly playing at a level right at or just beyond your skill level and you're playing on a tight bankroll then you will need to take a lot of breaks so that you don't get burned out or tilted. If you're like me and you play with a healthy bankroll at a level that doesn't usually test your abilities, then you can play all the time because you aren't going to be stressed with a lot of hard decisions and bankroll stress will be almost nonexistent.

I play almost everyday for several hours, but I play $1/2 limit and the $22 NL SnGs on a $1500 roll. Poker is usually relaxing for me, but I would imagine that the $30/60 players would need many more breaks because they have to stay mentally sharp or their roll gets decimated quickly.

As far as playing on the weekends, I think that is a good idea because there are more recreational players online during the weekend.

TimM 07-13-2005 05:44 AM

I have my whole month pretty much planned out in advance:

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/timm66-calendar.jpg

Everything is in pencil and I move things around alot, but the goal is to get 32000 hands each month, and 4 tabling that works out to 30 hours a week with two or three days off per month. I prefer each week to be four 3 hour days and three 6 hour days (two 3 hour sessions with a long break in between), rather than packing the 30 hours into 5 days and taking more days off.

I made a post in the magazine forum with more detail.

Reef 07-13-2005 06:05 AM

don't mean to be a hater but
-----------------------------

[ QUOTE ]
I just went semi-pro

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
but not quitting my day job anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should think about it, take a second

[ QUOTE ]
If you're making $22/hr, that's pretty sweet

[/ QUOTE ]

not really

Reef 07-13-2005 06:06 AM

I play about 5-6 days a week. 4-8hr. Usually closer to 4.

During school, my time goes down to about 2-3 hrs a day. Damn education getting in the way of my poker

grandgnu 07-13-2005 09:37 AM

Oy vey! To those bashing my "semi-pro"ness:

Semi-pro....to me, means that I do not rely on poker for my income, it isn't necessary to pay the bills. I work outside of poker, but I play enough poker that it can, and does, supplement my income nicely.

I'm just starting out, and tracking my results with Poker Tracker. If poker winds up providing me more income than I make working for the man, then I'll consider going completely pro (would need a good 4-6 months living expenses saved on top of my poker bankroll)

And yes, $22/hr playing poker is pretty sweet, and would be significantly more than I currently earn per hour and live on. Perhaps it isn't enough for you, but it would be a significant raise for me (i.e. my living standards are much less than wherever you're from)

Bodhi 07-13-2005 02:24 PM

I know this wasn't directed at me, so I'll just add that I agree $22/hr isn't that much. It's enough to get by for just a little while.

To go permanently pro, someone ought to be making considerably more than what they could make at a regular job with their qualifications (or potential).