Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   players you hate, but would take in a heartbeat for your team... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=276690)

contentless 06-20-2005 03:34 PM

Re: players you hate, but would take in a heartbeat for your team...

Patriots - Randy Moss
Red Sox - Jeter at 2nd base
Celtics - We need a center, so I hate Shaq.
Gunners - Van Nistelrooy

Yeah, I know, 2 blasphemous picks.

tbach24 06-20-2005 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NBA: my pick has to be shaq - i hate him with a passion, but hometown fans LOVE him, and he's just dominant.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could anyone hate Shaq? He's easily my favorite person in sports.

tbach24 06-20-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Patriots - Randy Moss
Red Sox - Jeter at 2nd base
Celtics - We need a center, so I hate Shaq.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter who the Pats have, that's why I left them off of my post.

Jeter can't play defense at SS, how would he do at 2nd? Poorly I'd guess.

I still can't believe anyone would hate Shaq. Wait on Perk though, he'll be great within 1-2 years.

contentless 06-20-2005 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't matter who the Pats have, that's why I left them off of my post.

Jeter can't play defense at SS, how would he do at 2nd? Poorly I'd guess.

I still can't believe anyone would hate Shaq. Wait on Perk though, he'll be great within 1-2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you just got out of high school, I have a little advice for you:

Please lay off the crack.

Perkins will never be great. His offensive game is beyond unpolished - it's non-existent. His game is also far too emotionally oriented. You combine those two things, and it comes down to this: When he's on offense, no one has to guard him. You just have to box him out for the rebound. When he's on defense, count on him to foul you. Perkins at this point is shaping up to be a big, yet scrappy energy guy you absorb fouls with.

As for Jeter, 2nd base isn't a mirror image of shortstop. It's an easier position, with more emphasis on popups (which Jeter can do) and the fact that Jeter doesn't have to throw across his body anywhere as much will hide the fact that his first step is...retarded. Anyways, name a 2nd baseman with better offensive skills that you hate. [censored], name a 2nd baseman with better offensive skills.

1. Brian Roberts
2. ...

tbach24 06-20-2005 04:03 PM

1. I'm still in HS
2. Perkins will be great
3. Soriano, Kent, Utley

As to this point:
[ QUOTE ]
As for Jeter, 2nd base isn't a mirror image of shortstop. It's an easier position, with more emphasis on popups (which Jeter can do) and the fact that Jeter doesn't have to throw across his body anywhere as much will hide the fact that his first step is...retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd imagine at the professional level, switching over to 2nd after many years at short would be VERY difficult. He sucks at d at SS anyways.

contentless 06-20-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Soriano, Kent, Utley

[/ QUOTE ]

You really would rather have Kent at 37 than Jeter at 30? And you think Soriano can play a better second base than Jeter? And you think this is Utley's breakout year? For all of Utley's potential, he's still a wait and see.

Jeter has something all of these guys don't have, and that's consistency. As a 2nd baseman, he'd be consistently in the top 2. You can't say that about any other 2nd baseman throughout the course of an entire season.

Seriously, as much as I hate to admit it, Jeter would be a damn good 2B. The Spanks would have been much much much better if during the offseason told him to get his captaincy over to 2nd and shift ARod back to SS, and then build the team accordingly.

tbach24 06-20-2005 04:18 PM

You asked for 3 CURRENT 2Bs who are better, and yes I do believe that Utley will be a dominant 2B for years to come.

Soul Daddy 06-20-2005 04:20 PM

I thought it was the accepted stance that if Jeter were to move, CF would be his best position? Maybe I just read too much Neyer.

tbach24 06-20-2005 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was the accepted stance that if Jeter were to move, CF would be his best position? Maybe I just read too much Neyer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes much more sense than a move to 2B and there's no way I'd take him over Damon.

contentless 06-20-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You asked for 3 CURRENT 2Bs who are better

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I know what I said, and I said name 2nd basemen with better offensive skills. None of the players mentioned are consistently (rhymes with skill) better than Jeter. Some of them are better for a year, or a few months (rhymes with luck, or fluke, or something that is unsustainable...unlike skill). Being better over the course of 3 months doesn't mean that you're necessarily more skillful. Really, ask yourself if Chase Utley is more offensively skilled than Jeter, or if Soriano is. Kent, yeah, I guess, but this is another one of those questions: Would you really rather have Kent over Jeter if money were no object?

And for the Yankees, yeah, CF would be the logical choice. Not for the Red Sox though (or many other teams).