Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Is this push insane or standard? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=273814)

johnnybeef 06-15-2005 11:45 PM

Re: Is this push insane or standard?

[ QUOTE ]
Wild aggression on the bubble is a huge leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are wrong. while i dont think op is quite in push any two situation quite yet, this push is definately +EV (if only marginally so).

edit: check out microbet's post below, which is imo spot on.

wiggs73 06-15-2005 11:45 PM

I'd fold this, but it's close. If my chip-lead was to the point that a call would still leave me at chip leader, I'd be pushing any 2. As it stands, a loss kind of hurts you, but blinds don't, so I'd be slightly less aggressive. Still, as others have said, this isn't a bad push by any means.

microbet 06-15-2005 11:46 PM

Very game dependent. If you put them all on 'tight', it is a push with any two. If you put them all on 'average', it is 63% of hands and Q4o is borderline. If you put them on loose (which you need in order to get 44), only the top 11% of hands are good pushes.

Maybe this means in a $215 you can push with any two, but in a $22 I think you need to at least weed out the crap and maybe have a decent hand.

Freudian 06-15-2005 11:49 PM

I don't mind 2+2ers applying wild aggression. I probably have a much larger calling range against them than most here so it suits me just fine.

So anyone is preaching the "any two" gospel will not get any big objections from me.

curtains 06-16-2005 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not clever enough to make the converter work, so sorry if this hand looks a little weird.

Anyways, theres 4 players left in a 20+2 SnG. Blinds are 150/300 I am the chipleader and first to act. I am dealt Qc 3d and push.

Thought they cant really call me on the bubble without a monster, so I tend to push almost any 2 cards here. Is that overdoing it and does it ever make sense to raise less in that spot?

Thanks for your help guys

UTG (2760)
UTG+ 1(1640)
SB (1885)
BB (1715)

Hero raises (2760) to 2760
Hero is all-In.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold this, players probably not sophisticated enough to play as tight as they need to here in a $22. I think it's somewhat overdoing it. What I'd be happier about is a spot where one stack is really short and you can attack the other two, as opposed to them all being equal...gives them slightly more incentive to call.

curtains 06-16-2005 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone who calls without a monster u is the biggest idiot on history, u must have some FE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, you are playing $22 tournaments with idiots, what do you expect?

lastchance 06-16-2005 12:27 AM

This is a "Giga-push." What I mean is that Gigabet should and will make this play at the $215's, and with any 2. But you're not Gigabet, and you're not playing the $215's. Your opponents simply aren't going to let you push any 2 here, and they're going to call with crap, even if you are pushing any 2, especially if you've been pushing recently.

What annoys me is that a tight image I built up over the first 3 levels dissipates very quickly when I push every other hand on the bubble. People really don't notice when you're not making a sound, but people notice when you bully them around.

Just an aside. Saying that going into maniac mode with a big stack is much more profitable at high levels than at low levels. My mantra is to keep a healthy 8x BB stack as long as possible until ITM, because getting called sucks, and you will get called.

Don't try to build up big stacks like Giga does and go into maniac mode on the bubble. Just get in your blind steal mode and wait for calling to happen (which it will).

curtains 06-16-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very game dependent. If you put them all on 'tight', it is a push with any two. If you put them all on 'average', it is 63% of hands and Q4o is borderline. If you put them on loose (which you need in order to get 44), only the top 11% of hands are good pushes.

Maybe this means in a $215 you can push with any two, but in a $22 I think you need to at least weed out the crap and maybe have a decent hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold this in basically every game, regardless of reads. Can't quite explain why though...I just feel like my stack size will allow for better spots to come up soon, and it's really risky....you can never know their exact range.

If they are tight its probably slight +EV, but it's a lot easier for them to be a lot looser and make it clear -EV than it is for them to be super super tight and make it clear +EV.

eastbay 06-16-2005 12:37 AM

Don't like it much, especially in a $22.

You're in good shape, but you won't be if you get whacked by any one of these stacks.

If you're going to bully in a $22, at least use position a little better. You pick up the same amount of blinds for considerably less risk.

eastbay

curtains 06-16-2005 12:38 AM

btw the previous post I made I think is important. Sometimes you find a situation where you put people on a very tight range and realize the play is very slightly +EV and then make it. However in the process you don't realize that there is almost zero chance that they will play tighter than your range, but quite a signifigant chance that you misjudged and they will be looser, sometimes much so, thus making your play signifigantly -EV.

Bascially it's almost impossible to peg an exact range, so if I take an extreme type of range and put my opponents on it (extreme meaning it's almost impossible they will be tighter), and a play turns out to be only marginally +EV, I will almost never trust my read exactly. I've been surprised by loose calls way too many times.