Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   WHAT THE F*** explain this one..???????? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=269859)

Eihli 06-10-2005 04:14 AM

Re: WHAT THE F*** explain this one..????????

i know it's not clear cut, but how clear cut do you expect it to get without reads? all you can use is numbers.

raptor517 06-10-2005 04:19 AM

yer numbers dont help at ALL in this situation. they would help amazingly well if it was a heads up tournament. unfortunately, there are about 7 players at the table and 2 of them limped and still have action. therefore, you cant simply say that, oh, it costs 310 to win 740, autocall with Q high, ship it. ehot?

Myst 06-10-2005 04:36 AM

I dont know. That looks a lot scarier if that was your first time playing a STEP for $1000 and Gigabet made a raise like that from the blinds. If you arent an astute player, you have to put him on a hand....

Obviously Gigabet f*****d up by not having a correct read on the early position limper. But he makes these kind of moves to get the top end money and 1st place.

Eihli 06-10-2005 04:42 AM

i understand that. but, what else can we consider with the information provided? we don't know how likely it is that the limpers will call. we don't know how they view giga now or how this move will cause them to view and act against giga later. all we know is there is 710 in the pot and if he can get the limpers to fold he'll see a showdown heads up getting 710:310.

deathpotato 06-10-2005 04:44 AM

Tolumax is far from a step 5 newcomer, and gigabet knows this. That said, I have no idea when it comes to the reasoning behind this play, unless tolumax routinely limp/folds off 1/10 of his stack, which I find pretty doubtful.

Gramps 06-10-2005 04:44 AM

The limp UTG+1 from the 1k stack at 50/100 really smells of AA/KK (absent some read of them being a total overlimper). The times you're up against one of those two hands, you're an 8:1 dog with 1k at risk. Seems like a very high price to pay for a small +cev opportunity (the times everyone else folds), unless you think the reckless/overplaying image will help make the others fear your big stack and fold blinds to you later, etc.

gumpzilla 06-10-2005 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The limp UTG+1 from the 1k stack at 50/100 really smells of AA/KK (absent some read of them being a total overlimper). The times you're up against one of those two hands, you're an 8:1 dog with 1k at risk. Seems like a very high price to pay for a small +cev opportunity (the times everyone else folds), unless you think the reckless/overplaying image will help make the others fear your big stack and fold blinds to you later, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The image play aspect was the best reason I could come up with for doing this. Perhaps in the future it will allow him to make this move with real hands at that point. I don't know. As others have pointed out, it seems like with Giga's reputation this tendency is pretty highly exploitable.

I often think that in the future, when people post Gigabet related hand histories, they should consider doing so without revealing that the player in question is Giga. I think people spend so much time bending over backwards to find even the smallest of reasons that a play is good when they know it's him, and they might tear it to shreds otherwise.

Freudian 06-10-2005 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I often think that in the future, when people post Gigabet related hand histories, they should consider doing so without revealing that the player in question is Giga. I think people spend so much time bending over backwards to find even the smallest of reasons that a play is good when they know it's him, and they might tear it to shreds otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on. He is very creative and manages to win with the worse hand much more often than I do for sure. But of course he makes mistakes.

For example he has managed to go to the final table as chipleader in two straight live tournaments only to bust out very early. Of course it could just be down to bad luck but it could also be indicative of weaknesses in his play (wanting to do too much with big stack, taking hands too far when the actions of the other player should tell him not to etc). That he makes it to the final table as chipleader tells us what we already know. He is excellent working the bubble and exploiting hesitation in his opponents.

Khern 06-10-2005 09:06 AM

I'm eager to see the range of play a known name player is willing to make. Of course, careful interpretation of the play is essential.

-John

gumpzilla 06-10-2005 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm eager to see the range of play a known name player is willing to make. Of course, careful interpretation of the play is essential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plays like the one we're discussing here are impossible to interpret "carefully" with the information we have. We have no reads on the players, which is a vital component of plays like this. We can try and come up with the best possible scenario for making this play, which is not necessarily unproductive, but that doesn't really give a good indicator of whether the play was a good idea or not in this situation. Furthermore, considering the crew of regulars that he faces, it's very difficult to tell how good this play is in isolation anyway, since a large part of the play probably involves future exploitation of an image fueled by this play.