Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Most overrated supposed-to-be-smart movie? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=265318)

Chris Daddy Cool 06-03-2005 06:54 PM

Re: Most overrated supposed-to-be-smart movie?

[ QUOTE ]
Donnie Darko then Garden State.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't like donnie darko (though i thought some parts were good) but i loved garden state.

Los Feliz Slim 06-03-2005 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Charlie Kaufman movies I've seen (Adaptation and Being John Malkovich) I really wanted to like much more than I did. I can appreciate that both are very clever without necessarily getting all that much out of them. They were both okay, but kind of overhyped for my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost walked out of Eternal Sunshine, and continue to believe it's crap. That's my vote. God, that movie was annoying.

twang 06-03-2005 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't even put The Matrix anywhere close to this category in the first place, so yeah, if you think it's supposed to be smart and artsy, then it would be a good choice.

The Charlie Kaufman movies I've seen (Adaptation and Being John Malkovich) I really wanted to like much more than I did. I can appreciate that both are very clever without necessarily getting all that much out of them. They were both okay, but kind of overhyped for my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think The Matrix, along with Fight Club, are the blueprints for these kind of movies. I liked Fight Club though. I agree 100% about the Kaufman movies.

/twang

pryor15 06-03-2005 06:59 PM

The Matrix, clearly

mmbt0ne 06-03-2005 06:59 PM

I hate Fight Club. Mostly just because of how many people love it though, and how 98% of them misinterpret the ending.

gumpzilla 06-03-2005 07:00 PM

Fight Club is actually another one I thought of that I don't like anywhere near as much as some as soon as I posted. I hate hate hate the ending and felt it didn't fit in with the movie at all. I frequently have that response to twist endings in movies where they don't seem to belong - the end of Unbreakable really annoyed me as well when I saw it.

miajag81 06-03-2005 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate Fight Club. Mostly just because of how many people love it though, and how 98% of them misinterpret the ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those of us dumb enough to like it, could you explain the ending?

mason55 06-03-2005 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anything by david lynch.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're clearly wrong.

Reef 06-03-2005 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Memento

[/ QUOTE ]

disagree. This movie was awesome

twang 06-03-2005 07:08 PM

Can Amelie from Montmartre be considered mainstream? If so, I'll change my runner-up to that one because Donnie Darko had some parts that were ok and Amelie from Montmartre is one of the few movies I never finished. Awful.

/twang