Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   I don't like this kind of situations. How to improve my line? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=262446)

fisherman112 05-31-2005 03:00 PM

Re: I don\'t like this kind of situations. How to improve my line?

yeah for 6 max that's a ridiculous position to take. folding KQo to more significant raises pf is not a terrible thing to do, but in this instance you have to call.
you MUST bet the turn. it's an easy fold if raised and if he calls you again, you can either value bet the river or check/call depending on what falls.
the people who were advising you to fold this to the minraise are throwing money away.

pyedog 05-31-2005 03:38 PM

So nobody likes check-raising this flop? Personally I would have checked to the preflop raiser and expected him to bet $4 or so, in which case I would have raised to about $12 to try to find out how much he likes his hand in an aggressive fashion. I would then have probably folded to a reraise barring further reads.

The way that you played it I agree that you need to bet out the turn since he hasn't showed any strength. And if you just call the turn then I have no idea what to do on the river when the ace hits. I guess you could have made a blocking bet to pretend that it helped you.

It's tough to fold this preflop with only a minraise. I find this situation occurs frequently in no-limit when bad players minraise preflop and you're stuck calling with a potentially dominated hand like KQ or AJ due to excellent pot odds. I always try to proceed with caution, whatever that means exactly.

swedeD 05-31-2005 08:56 PM

I like the check-raise idea. But with only one player left that is not the PF raiser, he can check behind and you are giving everyone a free card. But I will try the check-raise sometimes.

poboy 05-31-2005 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are getting 7:1 pf to call the reraise, dont fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe they are talking about before the raise, as in don't limp this from UTG. After he limped and was minraised he should of course call as you should with any 2 cards. But as others have said proceed with caution, personally I'm looking for more than top pair in this situation. JMO

Malachii 05-31-2005 09:32 PM

Unfortunately, in my opinion, there's no easy answer on how to play top pair out of position when an opponent flat calls your bet. It really depends on your read of the opposing player.

First of all, even in a 6 max game, KQo out of position against a preflop raiser is a no no. Yes, you're getting 7:1 on your call. But, as Bob Ciaffone says in his book, implied odds are the name of the game in NL Hold'em. Who's going to have the best of it on the flop if you call his preflop raise out of position? Obviously, he is.

On the flop, given this board texture, I like a check/call. You're not really afraid of giving a free card. If you bet out, you put yourself in a position where you can be bluffed or trapped relatively easily. Checking and calling keeps the pot small, gets you bluff money when he makes his continuation bet, and should slow him down on fourth street if he has nothing.

Betting the flop and then checking the turn shows too much weakness, he'll just pounce on you in these situations and you won't be able to tell if he's value betting you or bluffing you.

If you check/call the flop and he bets big again on the turn, it's fold time, in my opinion. He has you beat.

TreyOfLight 06-01-2005 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you check/call the flop and he bets big again on the turn, it's fold time, in my opinion. He has you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dislike letting this hand go without showing giving villain a chance to fold: there are plenty of players who will make a 2-street continuation bet.

I probably stop-n-go this, check-call the flop and lead the turn for something like 2/3 pot, enough that he has to think about laying it down, and can't raise without committing a lot of chips.

That said, a lot of opponents will bet in proportion to the strength of their hand and villain appears to be one of these. He's saying he has an OK hand and wants you to come to a showdown. As played, I probably call the smallish turn and river bets.

Spladle Master 06-01-2005 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are getting 7:1 pf to call the reraise, dont fold. After betting the flop, bet the turn and fold to a raise.

On your line Id fold to his river bet even though his bet is quite low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody re-raised, Mr. Sexton.

Spladle Master 06-01-2005 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop 2x

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's going to have to be a pretty juicy table for me to want to play hands like KQo or AJo out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I laugh at you.

Spladle Master 06-01-2005 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, in my opinion, there's no easy answer on how to play top pair out of position when an opponent flat calls your bet. It really depends on your read of the opposing player.

First of all, even in a 6 max game, KQo out of position against a preflop raiser is a no no. Yes, you're getting 7:1 on your call. But, as Bob Ciaffone says in his book, implied odds are the name of the game in NL Hold'em. Who's going to have the best of it on the flop if you call his preflop raise out of position? Obviously, he is.

On the flop, given this board texture, I like a check/call. You're not really afraid of giving a free card. If you bet out, you put yourself in a position where you can be bluffed or trapped relatively easily. Checking and calling keeps the pot small, gets you bluff money when he makes his continuation bet, and should slow him down on fourth street if he has nothing.

Betting the flop and then checking the turn shows too much weakness, he'll just pounce on you in these situations and you won't be able to tell if he's value betting you or bluffing you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent post.

TheWorstPlayer 06-01-2005 10:27 AM

I agree that it is a good post. And I wouldn't hesitate to fold KQo against an unknown preflop even against a min-raise. But I disagree where he says that you should fold the turn if he bets again. I think you should lead the turn and fold to a raise. He is dead on about c/c being the best line on the flop, though.