Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Who Will Be Remembered Longer? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=248707)

jojobinks 05-09-2005 07:27 PM

Re: Who Will Be Remembered Longer?

chaplin's last major directing job was in 1952, and his heydey was the 1930's. he's already been remembered longer.

the beatles are great; but they are remembered more b/c it's easier to give them playtime; 3 minutes (beatles song) vs 60 or so (chaplin film).

chaplin will be remembered for a long long time. btw...how many other directors can you name from the 1930's? 2 or three, maybe? you can clearly name more musicians from the 1960's...

Homer 05-09-2005 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and speaking of arbitrary posts that just clog up the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the [censored] can OOT be clogged up? It's OOT -- "other other topics." As in, all the [censored] that doesn't go in the other forums, goes here.

B Dids 05-09-2005 07:43 PM

This is a much more interesting post than "Miss OOT 2.21651". It's nice to see the people responsible for making OOT suck saying "this sucks post more like us".

bernie 05-09-2005 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the beatles are great; but they are remembered more b/c it's easier to give them playtime; 3 minutes (beatles song) vs 60 or so (chaplin film).

[/ QUOTE ]

This was kind of my point. Not to mention the vast number of outlets for their music in comparison to a visual media. Beatles are much more accessible.

b

bernie 05-09-2005 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you don't have cable

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what you may hear when it's a commercial during a chaplin movie? A beatles tune.

b

jakethebake 05-09-2005 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant even begin to think how this could even be sort of close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't begin to think why anyone would care. Or who would bother to voite in this poll.

AncientPC 05-10-2005 12:53 AM

I voted Chaplin.

Beatles may be more popular, but Chaplin started it all. A thousand years from now, Beatles will only be remembered as a bump in music's history but Chaplin will still be remembered. The Beatles aren't on the same level as Mozart, and they don't define a genre of music.

How is current popularity a measure of a member / group's contribution to their art? Britney Spears is insanely popular, does that mean that her music will still be listened to in 20 years?

bernie 05-10-2005 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Britney Spears is insanely popular, does that mean that her music will still be listened to in 20 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see a difference between Britney and the Beatles?

b

AncientPC 05-10-2005 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Britney Spears is insanely popular, does that mean that her music will still be listened to in 20 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see a difference between Britney and the Beatles?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there's a difference, I'm just arguing that current popularity doesn't properly gauge artists' impact in future years.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 05-10-2005 03:20 AM

not even close.