Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=243959)

pergesu 05-02-2005 05:13 AM

Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a wi

That was my nickname at all the Seattle clubs. Luckbox. They called me Kid too, holla

Apathy 05-02-2005 05:16 AM

Re: How much do you think you lost playing SNGs before you became a winner

A long long time ago... I won a 500 person freeroll on a little site called jetset, and $75 bucks with it. I ran that up to around 2k fairly quickly and then went broke playing 3-6NL and 100 dollar HU tournaments. Then I learned what a BR was and how to manage it, improved my game, deposited some money on party, cleared some bonus, cashed out the deposit amount and away I went.

DasLeben 05-02-2005 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was my nickname at all the Seattle clubs. Luckbox. They called me Kid too, holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how that's not true. I sat there across from you live and watched you get aces and kings constantly for the first couple hours while I blinded down. Asshat.

pergesu 05-02-2005 05:25 AM

That's the Pat Maddox way to play. Get aces and win, holla

Blarg 05-02-2005 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I put $10 into VC poker two years ago, cashed it out a week later and I've been up and playing off my profits ever since. However I still suck and after a long time in the wilderness I have found my way to party where after a brief and profitable time at the 11's I have an awe insiring -0.5% ROI at the 20's though I've only been playing them 20 days and have only clocked a measly 180 so who knows what my real numbers are??

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you go right to the 20's and skip the lower ones?

Blarg 05-02-2005 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
umm.. zero dollars? ive always been +ev in sngs. so many terrible people. if you have any sense at all you can beat the 55s. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowledgeable and/or smart people define sense differently than the ignorant or not quite so smart, is the only problem. I agree that a knowledgeable and/or smart person would have to be foolish not to be a winner, though at what particular level I couldn't say because I have all of a month's experience in SNG's.

Which I hope is more tied into my being ignorant than dumb. I'm working on the one of those that I am capable of working on. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And am turning a profit at my lowly 11's so far.

Blarg 05-02-2005 07:02 AM

I was down upwards of $150 when I started last month at the 5's. Then I switched to the 10's and made that back and a good bit more. I've only been playing these things for a month, so my sample size is ridiculous as to days, but I have gotten in almost 400 10+1's. My stats could be better, but I'm in the black and they seem to be rising slowly and steadily, which is all I could really ask for at this early point. I'm hoping my next 500 is much better than this 500, since it won't have the figures mixed in it from when I just started.

Scuba Chuck 05-02-2005 11:06 AM

Well, if you're asking this questioin, I can assume you're worried about losing money. Therefore, you need to learn to become a bonus whore.

FWIW, after I found this site, I lost $zero$. Before this site, Scuba was a huge fish. Luckily, I lost little of my own money.

Freudian 05-02-2005 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much cash in straight losses did you sink into SNGs (or other types of poker for that matter) before you became a winning player?

[/ QUOTE ]

None. I won right away. But I have had 30-40 buyin drops a few times. Always ended up winning it back and more though.

vindikation 05-02-2005 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much cash in straight losses did you sink into SNGs (or other types of poker for that matter) before you became a winning player?

[/ QUOTE ]

I basically lost $1000 my first 6 months playing online poker. After playing 11 months now, I've won $2200 so I am up $1200. I cashed out my initial $1000 and only play online now with my profit.

My play has gotten better, but biggest thing that killed me was playing outside of my bankroll. Now I'm sticking to 50 buy-ins (and will drop a level if I crash and burn) so hopefully I will never have to redeposit again.